Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

George Guinea replica?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
611 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2012  9:33 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add drdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Spade shield, bust right - but this one is NOT gold, looks like brass. Is this a replica? Any information is appreciated.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
5081 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2012  9:35 pm  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could be a gaming token
Aim to Enjoy life. You only get one shot at it
Learn More...
Australia
11285 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2012  10:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, it's a gaming counter. Compare the reverse legend with a genuine example and you'll see the lettering is different. It's actually the encoded abbreviation of the manufacturer: "B. Bros" on the left and "B.I.R.M." (Birmingham) on the right. The "1790" date is fictitious; this style of gaming counter was made in the early to mid 1800s, as I understand it.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1610 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2012  11:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Apollo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the history lesson Sap (:

I believe my grandparents live near Birmingham...
United Kingdom
30 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  5:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bradez72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yes they used these to gamble.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05