Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why am I giggling?

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
United States
17336 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2012  12:19 am Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

A quick quiz. More to come.

Images courtesy of Heritage Auctions, http://www.ha.com.

The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, coinguybrian, numismo, Johnny54321 - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5270 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2012  12:48 am  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see the 2 cracks but not the scribbles a new VAM die pairing Dave? Don't want to give away too much either, if not scribbles then I know what it is - nice find.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Edited by westcoin
01/18/2012 12:50 am
Learn More...
United States
17336 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2012  12:56 am  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nope - it's a known VAM.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, coinguybrian, numismo, Johnny54321 - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5270 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2012  07:21 am  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well then, like I said I know what it is!

I'll wait for others to post first, that's a really nice looking dollar Dave!
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1697 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2012  08:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter53562 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The suspense is killing me....lol
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
6848 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2012  08:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Need better pictures.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2162 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2012  09:20 am  Show Profile Check nlp coins's eBay Listings Check nlp coins's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add nlp coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice pics and find. I assume that's not a "gouge" on the slab right wing. 3F2
Save the best, sell the rest
http://nlpcoins.ecrater.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2012  10:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know! It's shiny. That is my final answer.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2650 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2012  10:21 am  Show Profile Check SeatedNut's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Man I hate not being able to play at work.

I can see the obverse, but not the reverse picture. I'll assume it's a 21-D. I also can't access any VamWorld sites so no "crack guide". I've nipped Dave's obverse picture and highlighted the prominent obverse cracks. Someone else will need to use the crack guide to come up with an attribution (assuming again it's a 21-D). Or if no one steps up I'll do it tonight.

Would sure like to compare with the 21-D VAM 1O (one-Oh).

The suspense is killing me.
So many coins, so little time ...
Learn More...
United States
17336 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2012  11:33 am  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nice pics and find. I assume that's not a "gouge" on the slab right wing. 3F2

Ding! We have a winner.

The previous Condition Census grade, to the best of my knowledge, is MS63. The popularity of 3F2 among VAMmers is indicated by the fact that, of the 3 subvarieties (3F1, 3F2, 3F3), ANACS only has a separate population listing for 3F2.

2012 looks to be a good year.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3855 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2012  1:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice pick! Is this a hole filler or an upgrade?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5270 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2012  5:27 pm  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was right on the money on the VAM Dave, sweet looking coin, great luster too!
Learn More...
United States
17336 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2012  01:06 am  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nice pick! Is this a hole filler or an upgrade?

As with most of my purchases, it's most likely going to be a catch-and-release. Like biologists, I catch them, tag them (photographically), and then let them go.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4340 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2012  01:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Canadian-Banknotes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How much value does this VAM add to the coin?
Want to Buy: PCGS Graded 1878-S Morgan dollar (PO-01)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
5083 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2012  02:12 am  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As with most of my purchases, it's most likely going to be a catch-and-release. Like biologists, I catch them, tag them (photographically), and then let them go.

send it to me, I;ll scale and gut it if you are to squeamish
Aim to Enjoy life. You only get one shot at it
Learn More...
United States
17336 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2012  11:18 am  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How much value does this VAM add to the coin?

I can't say I'm sure. I expect that its' premium lies more with the grade than the VAM; popularity is iffy in the sense that the only real demand for the vast majority of VAMs is in the upper end of the grade scale since there are still relatively few serious VAM collectors.

There's only one other "known" MS65 VAM-3F, a 3F3 which hammered for $345 at Heritage in 2004. That's encouraging; it's almost 3 times what I paid for this coin.

As we speak, there is a 3F3 in ANACS MS63 on Heritage, and 3 AU VAM-3F2's on eBay plus an "unknown" (not represented in any counts of Condition Census) 3F3 in NGC MS65 (overgraded, IMO). This points out a problem in the current world of VAMming - people are holding back knowledge of coins in the interest of higher profits. I'll be watching the results of these auctions.

So, is the coin presented here at the top of the Condition Census by two full grades? Unknown. I will guarantee, though, that it's going to be a part of the public record just as soon as I can get it under my own lens.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05