Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Trying to Pin down when this FAKE Mexican Peso was made

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
777 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2012  4:04 pm Show Profile Check ilikeikes's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add ilikeikes to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I collect contemporary counterfeits,(not modern, or fantasy coins), and am wondering if this fake 1908 Peso looks NEw or "old"...hard for me to tell whether this is a newish chinese spinoff..I'm new to all of this, so, learning a lot. Remember, we KNOW its a fake..just want to know old or new, that's all/
Thanks
CG

My PCGS 5 Oz. ATB SP Registry Set:
http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistry/pub...spx?s=121760
Redwood Empire Coin Club#788
ANA#3144406

Pillar of the Community
United States
777 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2012  5:07 pm  Show Profile Check ilikeikes's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ilikeikes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thinking here(dangerous, I know)--perhaps this IS an old fake..SUPPOSED to be silver, and, maybe the silver wash has worn away with time, exposing the base metal..which would make new chinese out..I have an 1823 fake GB half-crown, with just a tad of silver wash on it, after all the years of circulation...it's a beautiful "real" fake I got in a lot sale from ebay last month.
opinions needed.
Ty
ANA#3144406

Pillar of the Community
United States
3366 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2012  6:10 pm  Show Profile Check swamperbob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most of the Strong Peso fakes date to the period of insurgency when the silver value of the coin began to exceed the face value. The earlier silver coins were hoarded and/or melted at that time leaving a VOID in circulating coinage. This was filled by Token issues (Revolutionary pieces) and counterfeits.

They were NOT forged as "Contemporary" issues after 1919 because by that date they WERE NO LONGER CIRCULATING. The period of circulation of a coin determines the length of time that a "contemporary" copy can be made.

So if the coin was made after about 1919 it falls into the non-circulating fraud category.

The technology used on this coin to make image was a "Transfer Technology" the type of image transfer will determine WHEN it was made. A second factor will be the metallurgy used. And the final factor will be how the coin was made.

The pictures provide the clues but in hand you can get better detail by studying the coin with a microscope.

The 1908 is a VERY common Forgery in a silver washed or tinned copper/brass alloy. Many coins of this exact type were discovered in the big hoard of reclaimed counterfeits discovered in the 1990's in northern Mexico. The facility dated back to the late 1800's and was abandoned and fell into ruins sometime before WWII. From the hoard contents the earliest dated coin was 1836 (but that was a single isolated coin) the majority were from the 1870's to 1910. The very latest date I have seen from the hoard is 1919.

Your coin looks like many from that hoard. Any silver on the coin was reclaimed chemically and the copper/brass cores were thrown away in large containers and were buried.

Your coin appears to be an early form of transfer technology - the image was not fully transferred. The dies or molds used appear to have been recut by hand engraving to strengthen elements that did not copy clearly. Here is where the microscope comes in.

How are images transferred? Making a casting of the surface is as old as forgery. Techniques used in dating look at the grain of the transfer matrix. A sand cast is at one end of the spectrum OLD and a dental plastic matrix is at the other end NEW.

But casting is not the only way to do it.

The impact transfer technology using a shotgun is about as old as a shotgun. The details transfer poorly and the dies/molds are often recut. I suspect this is how your impression was made.

There are electronic techniques as well. Galvanic action was known as early as 1796 but was not used for a while to make electrotypes (1820-1830). Later spark erosion was used to make an impression (post US Civil War era). These dies also needed touch up but they produce a "ragged" edge on letters so that they are often widened. More recently photo etching of dies - up to computer engraving is used but these are VERY MODERN and nothing in the pictures says NEW to me.

So the techniques and possible dates are numerous but focus into the 1908-1919 time frames WELL.

Based on what I see your coin is a Circulating Contemporary Counterfeit and NOT a new one.

However I can not see the edge. One factor used is the manufacturing techniques. The edge is important is this regard. A seam can mean an electrotype or a casting. Hand cut reeds means an early rather than later date in most case. A roller applied edge with an overlap is a mid-20th century method but was used in the 1890s. The ring die technology is VERY recent perhaps 50 years or so.

The coin could be cast or struck. Neither is more common in the 1908-1919 era. But a ring die edger is DEATH in this case.
Pillar of the Community
United States
777 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2012  8:04 pm  Show Profile Check ilikeikes's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ilikeikes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fantasic knowledge swamper...I'm speechless(a rare event)...I've got a lot to learn in this most challenging field of detective work regarding fakes-counterfeits and forgeries.
Thank you for the report..outstanding.
Calvin
ANA#3144406

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Shop at PDS Coins!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.11 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05