Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Classic Coin Grading

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

1796 Draped Bust Dime

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
BrickellCat
Pillar Of The Community
United States
558 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2012  8:04 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add BrickellCat to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

This one appears to be harshly cleaned. Any care to venture a guess as to grade/value?

Rest in Peace
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
5375 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2012  9:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coinguybrian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VF Details, Corroded/Harshly Cleaned

Value, maybe $2000-2500 if the cleaning is really harsh, a bit more if not so bad. I could be wrong though. That's just based on heritage.

I am looking for a coin just like this for my dimes set...but theyre hard to find at a decent price.
United States
13868 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2012  9:19 pm  Show Profile Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with the above assessment ;)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4830 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2012  9:36 pm  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First off -

I'd venture F-12 or F-15 add in the cleaning, making the coin net out at high VG money on a purchase, high end for reasons I'll state below.

The obverse has full F-15 detail, while the reverse is a solid F-12, add in the harsh cleaning - the cut on the rim, and the couple of what look like newer scratches (long & narrow ones). I'd still be happy to own this coin in a set, a super tough to find type coin today in any grade above very good. XF and up examples seldom show up and when they do they almost always set a new high price.

Now on to setting a value for this coin, Heritage only shows 13 total sold in their archives, a couple of them tooled, whizzed, cleaned, and plugged with other surface issues, sold 5 years ago for $2K and up.

They sold a VF & XF in 1995 (15 years ago) for over $2K each. They haven't sold a single one since 2007 in any grade I can find. Teletrade shows 0 ever sold by them in my limited search. So making a value guess? I'd say a lot more than most price guides show, PCGS says $5400 in F-12, anywhere between $3400 and $6400, I'd hold out, put the coin out in the market, via word or dealer consignment, the money will find you, there are way more people wanting this coin than coins available.

A really, really tough coin. and because of that I don't have a lot of experience with them, most I've seen in much higher grades, I've only seen them and looked at them at auctions or ANA classes, never even owned one. So I'm basing my comments on how I would treat any really tough to find coin that I might have an opportunity to purchase myself.

I'd also insist the purchase on this coin to be final only after the coin is authenticated by a top tier TPG. There are too many China BS fakes out there, and some guys can age a coin to look this good. I'm definitely NOT saying there looks to be anything wrong with your coin, just the way the world is now I'm afraid, can't trust people as much.

Thanks for a great post on a coin most of us will never get to see in person!
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5603 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2012  10:58 pm  Show Profile Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There appears to be a lot of light on the coin. How much toning is present?

I love Draped Bust coins and the dimes are very pricey. Your coin looks VF. Here's some recent auction history. The ANACS VF20 pieces were "details".

Nov-2011 $2,990 VF20 ANACS Heritage
Aug-2011 $6,325 VF25 PCGS Stack's/Bowers
Jul-2011 $7,475 VF25 NGC Heritage
Mar-2011 $7,475 VF25 PCGS Heritage
Mar-2011 $6,325 VF25 NGC Heritage
Oct-2010 $5,463 VF25 NGC Heritage
Jan-2010 $6,325 VF35 PCGS Stack's
Dec-2009 $3,220 VF20 ANACS Heritage

ANA #R3154474
Pillar Of The Community
United States
558 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2012  5:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BrickellCat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got it back from NGC today. I was thinking about consigning it to Heritage with some other 18th century coins.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
558 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2012  12:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BrickellCat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I consigned it to the Heritage Long Beach auction at the end of May.
http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleN...tIdNo=123005

Edit - Thanks to westcoin for the suggestion.
Edited by BrickellCat
04/28/2012 12:20 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5603 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2012  2:09 pm  Show Profile Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the update and good luck! Your coin has a lot of meat on it for Fine Details and the Heritage images don't do it any favors. I would hope to see it bring close to $3k.
ANA #R3154474
United States
13868 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2012  5:33 pm  Show Profile Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ahh, so they are calling that a repair...makes sense I guess.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1243 Posts
 Posted 04/28/2012  7:46 pm  Show Profile Check mdpmedia's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello,

My guess is that this coin should be at a plus/minus F-12 primarily because of the obverse rim above the TY and the previously referred to cleaning.

Is that a crevice or or just surface dirt next to the S of STATES on the reverse?

IMO,
mdpmedia
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.1 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05