Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1833 Cap Bust half

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2012  12:05 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add cinemabon to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have a feeling the coin was cleaned. But is that a grease error on the reverse? Kept sealed inside a plastic holder by bolts! You judge...

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5036 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2012  03:56 am  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
YES - Cleaned
YES - Grease on reverse, most likely

VF-35 or XF-40 IMO
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4256 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2012  09:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amida17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
XF details

Very cool die flow lines too.
"...being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead." - Vonnegut
Pillar of the Community
United States
5175 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2012  10:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EF-40 details
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2012  12:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not likely grease, They're often weakly struck in that area.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2589 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2012  12:34 pm  Show Profile Check TJsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TJsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EF Details. Nice coin even though it has been cleaned.
Rest in Peace
Learn More...
United States
5375 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2012  5:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coinguybrian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
XF-45 details, weak strike in some areas. Too much luster for VF-35 or EF-40 IMO.
Learn More...
United States
13436 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2012  5:09 pm  Show Profile Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice looking coin though it has a recent cleaning. I would also grade it at EF-40.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4163 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2012  9:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ValiantKnight to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
EF-45 cleaned
"For as long as Belisarius lives, it is impossible for him to relinquish this city." - Roman general Belisarius, responding to a group of Gothic envoys, during the Gothic siege of Rome in 537 AD

Attributed coins in my collection so far - Roman: 238, Byzantine: 34, Post-Roman Germanic: 21
Valued Member
United States
149 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2012  9:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cinemabon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, guys... your opinion means so much to me. This collection is for my son. I know it isn't much, but I hope he'll treasure it someday.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2824 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2012  11:29 pm  Show Profile Check Prethen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Prethen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
XF+, harshly cleaned
Specializing in 2-3-20 cent pieces and 19th Century Proofs
Did someone mention 3CN?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4256 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2012  11:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amida17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just testing myself but I would call this an O-106......anyone else?
"...being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead." - Vonnegut
Pillar of the Community
United States
1324 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2012  11:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jeffrose to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

amida17: O-106 . . R.2
OPEN 24 HRS (but not in a row)
Learn More...
United States
16831 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2012  12:16 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Yeah, I think so - the slightly-elevated A in STATES and the shape of the top bar of the 5 tend to support it.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, numismo - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6842 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2012  7:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moe145 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
O-106 . . R.2

Easy way to tell...This is the "Laced Lips" die marriage! (Since both the obverse and reverse were unique to this die marriage).

Check for an engraver's mistake joining the lips and then the lower lip to the chin.

Links to ALL previous "Days of..." Threads:
http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...08352#108352
Pillar of the Community
United States
4256 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2012  8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amida17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Moe...are you agreeing? The lip is what I was looking at but I dont have this variety and working off pictures is somewhat difficult.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05