Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Does anyone know where to buy this type of album?

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
2586 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2012  03:11 am Show Profile Check Earle42's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I was thinking of how nice it would be to have a page in a 3-ring binder that I would have the bottom of airtite-like capsule molded into it. All one would need do is insert the coin and snap the top of the airtite holder onto it. A web search brought me to this:

I like this idea over conventional albums b/c only a capsule touches the coin.

But this is all I can find - a picture - posted on a non-selling site. It is just an image on that site entitled "airtite-album-page.jpg."

Has nyone seen any of these? Are they discontinued maybe? I see the Airtite website shows where they have albums you can insert their holders into - but nothing like the pages in the pic

Visualize Whirled Peas
- Doctors with patience will lose money letting loose their patients.
- They're over there with their car.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2677 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2012  05:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen something like this discussd elsewhere. I think the concensus was valleycoin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2586 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2012  05:43 am  Show Profile Check Earle42's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your help - I do appreciate the suggestion.

Unfortunately the only thing I found there were these:

This is an album with 6 slot-loading pages. Your purchase cards separately; insert the airtite containers into the cards; and then slip the cars into place.

I would like to find the ones where the airtite is a molded part of the page and you only need apply the slip covers onto the page.
Visualize Whirled Peas
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5194 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2012  05:51 am  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those look kind of like Lighthouse Albums, a google search should put you on the right track.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2586 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2012  06:22 am  Show Profile Check Earle42's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Westcoin - you hit the nail on the head.

But...

They call them "encap" pages & only make them for Euro coin sets - and the shipping for two of them to get here would be 35 Euros

You can get the encap slabbed coin holder sheets in the US. I wonder why some US company does not take off with this idea and make them for all coin denominations?

Anybody want to start a business?
Visualize Whirled Peas
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5194 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2012  03:15 am  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glad to be of help, I worked at a coin shop when I was 15 and we sold their stamp albums, I think that's where I remembered them from, (man that was a long time ago, another life it seems now that I'm pushing 50).

Expensive yes, but Lighthouse makes super quality archival products, many museums use their products because of that. What about using the euro holders with Airtight holder rings for US coins? The should still be close enough to fit, not hard to figure out since even US coins are measured in mm. Just a thought.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2586 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2012  07:06 am  Show Profile Check Earle42's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good point on the Euro pages and rings, but it would just take too much money for everything I would like to store in these. I had been toying with making my own plexiglass set holders as I have done in the past (3 sandwiched pieces with holes drilled in the middle one). They work quite well, its just not convenient for swapping out one coin. I was hoping to find a pre-made system readily available to replace all my albums.

The lighthouse would be nice, but the cost is prohibitive for me. I'd rather put the kind of money it would take to get all the ones I would require into a better coin.

BTW - your background is a bit like mine - worked in a coin shop as a teen and now hitting 50!

Visualize Whirled Peas
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  02:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like you invented the Capital plastic display. You can buy plastic screws from them, instead of metal screws on the corners.

The advantage to theirs is the kind of plastic they use, and tapering the holes so the reverse is smaller than the obverse.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2586 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  10:54 pm  Show Profile Check Earle42's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first I made one of these for Franklin halves - back around 1978-79 probably. But I was going to frame it for a wall hanging so made the entire thing longer than would make good pages for an album.

Screw are countersunk and the plastic was tapped to accept them.

I later took 4 pieces out of the set - not sure why - so I graphic-program-manipulated them back in for this pic . I will have to go get this and bring it home someday to really fill the empty holes again. This set was found in circulation.
Visualize Whirled Peas
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
263 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  11:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coinmap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That looks pretty cool Earle. Nice job.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2586 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  11:56 pm  Show Profile Check Earle42's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks - I want to try to find a sign company to get scraps and try to make some nice looking holders for various coins/sets.
Visualize Whirled Peas
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  07:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What's the 36th coin, Bugs?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2586 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  4:02 pm  Show Profile Check Earle42's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What's the 36th coin, Bugs?

Boy I blundered

I forget there were only 35 in the series so when Photo-manipulating I virtual-filled 4 holes instead of 3!

I know a Bugs never decided to visit my pocket change so its not in the set.
I do remember years ago a 1964 JFK filled that empty hole even though it looked kind of awkward. So next time the set is here this little Daniel Carr gem likely will fill the hole:

Visualize Whirled Peas
Pillar of the Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  5:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would like pages like that! I have some lighthouse slab pages that look like that, though obviously they hold slabs and not airtites. They're pretty simple, just vacuum formed plastic, where you can drop in the slabs, snap down the cover and stick them in a binder.
Learn More...
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2012  08:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I looked on eBay and there were these on there, not sure if its cheaper than what you found or not but thought I would share http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Lighthous...em53e6400eee
Pillar of the Community
United States
2586 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2012  11:41 am  Show Profile Check Earle42's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Bryan - thanks for the link. After seeing TheNickelGyy's setup on another thread though, I might just go with that. He sticks his coins in airtites and then puts them in 2X2-holding 3-hole punched pages. A lot less expensive than trying to get the encaps from Europe. I admit I'd love to see a US company take off with this idea and make them for all coins though.
Visualize Whirled Peas
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05