Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Tokens, Medals, and other Exonumia

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Show us your Civil War and Store Card tokens!

Previous Page | Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30
Valued Member
United States
438 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2012  2:11 pm  Show Profile Check brg5658's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add brg5658 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm just shooting a guess here, but that last one looks like Fuld 36/340 to me.
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
5839 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2012  2:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
you have it correct Fuld 36/340. Now if someone can give me a value. This one was a little pricey, just want to see if I wasted my money.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
731 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2012  3:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CheetahCats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fuld lists the 36/340a as an R-2 (501-2000 known specimens)

Your specimen does not look to be a weak strike, and appears quite circulated.

If you haven't already, you're going to find that most folks don't like to respond to questions pertaining to value, or how much someone paid. Much of it is subjective.

The conundrum with people asking for pricing is that terms like "pricey" and "wasted" is all subjective. What's inexpensive for one person may be quite dear for another, and what someone may perceive as "wasted," another may perceive as a great find.

Also, with Patriotics and many CWTs, there aren't a good set of pricing. Kanzinger provided a "guide" in 2003 for CWTs, but IMO his prices aren't that particularly accurate either.

That said, given its rarity and wear, I personally wouldn't have paid more than $12 bucks "retail" for the specimen. (I hope this doesn't insult, as it was not my intention. You asked.)

Finally -- however it turns out for the pricing on this particular specimen, I think you're doing a great job building a CWT and Patriotic collection :)

And for infrequent instances where you might have a question but would be more comfortable asking via PM, CCF does offer that option, and I can receive them. :)
Edited by CheetahCats
02/07/2012 3:30 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
731 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2012  3:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CheetahCats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another Civil War era type token. Though considered by many to be a medalet, I believe it falls within the purview of this thread's discussion.

Struck by the Scoville Manufacturing Company of Waterbury Connecticut, a total of 15,000 in brass, 7 in silver, and 75 in copper were made. The specimen pictured, a Dewitt-1860-59, was struck in copper. Given the surviving number of copper specimens known, this gives it a rarity rating of R-7 on the Fuld Rarity Scale.

United States
5839 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2012  5:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can understand about value and price being subjective. It was a bit more than your estimate, but I will just consider that an education. I agree that my use of the term "wasted" wasn't a good choice. I will learn more about CWTs, and if I make purchases, I should be more educated.
United States
5839 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2012  7:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My latest addition

1863 CWT Capped Head / In Remembrance of the War of 1861 '62 '63

FYI - I am going to a coin show this Sunday, and I will see if someone has CWT for sale and/or a book about CWT.
Valued Member
United States
367 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2012  04:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cointagous to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Saw the great pics and the Elephantine in particular so I thought I would share as well. Hope I have the attributions done correctly.

Trade and Commerce F259-445
Nice color but looks flat in the pics.

PH J. Seiter's Market 630BQ-1B
Brass with a great luster

Straight's Elephantine 10F-1a
Decent XF with nice color. Great design.

Edited by cointagous
02/11/2012 2:26 pm
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2012  09:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great color on the F259-445 and ellelump in tennies.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
731 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  08:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CheetahCats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ping. Here are a few more to kickstart the thread...

Carl Haas - Coffee House
OH165BJ-12A
Fuld R-2

Carl Paeschke - Dry Goods
WI-510AE-4a
Fuld R-8

E.Aschermann & Co - Cigars & Tobacco
WI510A-1a
Fuld R-5
Edited by CheetahCats
02/17/2012 08:46 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1323 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  1:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jeffrose to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CheetahCats . . your collection and your photography just blow me away. I have none of these to post but sure am enjoying the show. On your Carl Haas, was the name repunched on all the specimens?
OPEN 24 HRS (but not in a row)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
731 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  9:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CheetahCats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
CheetahCats . . your collection and your photography just blow me away. I have none of these to post but sure am enjoying the show. On your Carl Haas, was the name repunched on all the specimens?

Thanks for the kind words Jeff.

There are a multitude of varieties for Carl Haas that employ the rabbit device. Not all were repunched.
United States
46 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2012  4:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add augold to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NGC MS-62BN
civil war token 1863 new york, ny. F-620BS-2A STAUDINGER'S STORE CARD. NGC MS-62 BN. beautiful mint state token

staudinger's 116 broadway. new york- reverse
shield 1863- obverse

[/img]
Edited by augold
02/20/2012 4:18 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
731 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2012  4:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CheetahCats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@augold - beautiful token you have, and terrific variety too!

Below is the NY630BS-1a, a different variety of the Staudinger's than yours. Engraved by Roloff, this one is but only R-2, and is about mint state.

Thanks,

Cheetah
Edited by CheetahCats
02/20/2012 4:31 pm
United States
46 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  4:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add augold to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Cheetahcats.

I am a newbee,

what is the R rating on my Staudinger's above?
also, how do you obtain such clear photos?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
731 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  5:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CheetahCats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@AuGold - The R rating stands for rarity; rarity meaning how many are estimated to remain existing. George and Melvin Fuld developed a Rarity scale for Civil War Storecards, Patriotics, and Sutler tokens. There are a multitude of rarity scales, developed by different numismatists, based on numerous types of coin emissions. You can see a listing of the most popular rarity scales here, on my research website: http://www.novanumismatics.com/arti...rarities.php

As per the photography, I utilize a modified technique of axial lighting and glass when photographing my specimens. I go over this technique here: http://www.numissociety.com/showthr...budget+axial
Edited by CheetahCats
02/21/2012 5:16 pm
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05