Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show us your Civil War and Store Card tokens!

Previous Page | Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 38
Valued Member
United States
401 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  5:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Penny Guy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great info cc
Here is my latest CWT acquisition......

Pillar of the Community
United States
731 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  6:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CheetahCats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a beauty Bill!
Valued Member
United States
375 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  7:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cointagous to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice addition. Looks like that die was about kaput.
Pillar of the Community
United States
731 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  10:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CheetahCats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bill's Patriotic was struck in LDS, clearly. Terrific example for illustrating the results of worn dies.
Valued Member
United States
108 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  5:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add worldnumis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a scarce one. I believe it is Fuld 104/521

Valued Member
United States
108 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  6:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add worldnumis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is an interesting one from Broas Pie Bakers in New York. The obvers has several Die breaks. The reverse has a partial brockage and is rotated. There are many varieties so I'm not sure of the Fuld number.

Pillar of the Community
United States
731 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  6:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CheetahCats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Worldnumis - love that Fuld 104/521!
Valued Member
United States
108 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  8:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add worldnumis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. It's the scarcest one I have although it only grades fine or so. A similar piece recently sold on eBay for $750. It was a bit nicer than mine, but not much. They just don't show up that often.
Pillar of the Community
United States
731 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  11:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CheetahCats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thanks. It's the scarcest one I have although it only grades fine or so. A similar piece recently sold on eBay for $750. It was a bit nicer than mine, but not much. They just don't show up that often.

The 104/521a is listed as an R-9. Only 2-4 of these are estimated to exist.

That means, the one on eBay and yours shown here represent at most, an estimated 50% of the specimen's population.

A grade of 'fine' is quite terrific
Edited by CheetahCats
02/23/2012 11:17 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
775 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  1:29 pm  Show Profile Check Coindog's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Coindog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Heres my favorite token. 1837 Smiths Clock

Pillar of the Community
United States
731 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  2:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CheetahCats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Below please find a Cincinnati & Covington Ferry Company token.

This particular specimen is neat because not only does it fit into the Civil War Token category, but also Transportation.

Cataloged as OH165W-1a by the Melvin and George Fuld, it also has the Atwood-Coffee catalog number of OH-166-A.

Listed as R-3 by Fuld, the specimen was used as a fare token for passenger ferry crossing between Cincinnati OH and Covington KY, on the Ohio River.

Despite being listed as only an R-3, I have seen a scant few of these tokens available over the last several years. I estimate it to be somewhere between VF and VF-25.

The company itself was in business for about 53 years; having been founded in 1814 around the time when Covington itself was chartered.

The service thrived until John Roebling designed a suspension bridge which connected the two towns. The bridge opened on December 1st 1866. Only four months later did the ferry line fold and shut down.

Thanks,

- Cheetah
Pillar of the Community
United States
1327 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  2:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jeffrose to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cheetah . . great toning on the Cincinnati & Covington. And a good short history lesson to go with it. I live along the Ohio river in Western PA near Smith's Ferry. Would you know if they ever issued any tokens. It would be something nice to look for.
OPEN 24 HRS (but not in a row)
Pillar of the Community
United States
731 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  6:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CheetahCats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Cheetah . . great toning on the Cincinnati & Covington. And a good short history lesson to go with it. I live along the Ohio river in Western PA near Smith's Ferry. Would you know if they ever issued any tokens. It would be something nice to look for.

@jeff - The only ferry transportation token that I know of is from Shippingport, and it was struck around 1953. PA860-A.

The closest transportation token otherwise comes from East Liverpool (OH), and it was for the E.L. & W Street Railway Company. OH270

Cheetah
Edited by CheetahCats
02/23/2012 6:31 pm
United States
46 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  09:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add augold to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CheetahCats,

thanks for the info. I will definitely play with that photo technique. such a simple way to do away with glare.
i will fill you in on the results
Valued Member
United States
108 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2012  10:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add worldnumis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a couple more that I think fit in to this topic. They are not new purchases. I have had these for many years. Common as encased postage tokens go and not in the best shape but adequate enough for my modest collection of Civil War tokens.

Page: of 38 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05