Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 Canadian Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 Canadian Commemoratives and Non-Circulating Coinage (NCLT)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Future potential of new 2012 RCM releases?

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
commems
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1917 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2012  6:06 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

So, anyone see any coins with good investment potential among the RCM's most recent releases?

I think the $200 Viking gold commemorative may have some upside. Mintage is just 3,000 and it's the first release in a series set to celebrate Canada's 150th anniversary - it could develop a following.

What do others think?

Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2014
Valued Member
Canada
450 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2012  8:03 pm  Show Profile Check Lithanial's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lithanial to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only coin I see in this release appreciating beyond future melt value is the Bluenose. Nothing really stands out for me. I like the new proof set, but I have a hard time seeing it appreciating since it already costs twice as much as it used to. The aggressive pricing of this Month's release makes it hard to say any of these coins will appreciate soon. The Viking is the only coin that isn't aggressively priced for its gold content, but I just don't see the interest; although, it is the first in a series. But still, I don't get it. Once gold hits $2400 per oz, then it will appreciate.
Waiting for Ziz
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
640 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2012  8:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dcadon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thinking along those lines, then the $100 coin, being more affordable, is even less mintage at 2500. It should be sold out quickly, where as the $200 coin takes people with much deeper pockets to get involved.
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
1684 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2012  8:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canadian_coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Considering coins as an investment is a bit risky. Low mintage does play a role but its unpredictable - take the Nuthatch for instance. Novelty coins tend to do well. Olympics/Sport no so well.

Then you have those coins that are perpetually on sale at the Mint... like the $150 Gold Coin - Year of the Tiger (2010). Or the ones with "mintage while supplies last".

I really don't know what to expect anymore.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
2347 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2012  8:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CC-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have to agree that there isn't a lot of potential investment upside with the newest coins.

I think the fine silver proof set would have been one to watch except that the mintage is too high. If it fails to sell all 20k units, then it might become desirable.

Canadian_coins is bang on. Sports themes and high mintages are rarely good bets. Bluenose and moose coins in the past have had appeal and then there are those that are unexplainable like the bird quarters and the prehistoric 4 dollar series. Personally, none of those coins appeal to me aesthetically, but they have definitely provided potential gains. Of course they are never actual returns until you sell them, right?
Edited by CC-Ottawa
01/25/2012 8:52 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1917 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2012  8:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with folks re: the potential risky nature of "investing" in most modern NCLTs. I pretty much limit my NCLT purchases to the silver dollar commemorative series and don't expect any ROI - just like the series and have enjoyed building a collection over the years.

Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2014
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1684 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2012  10:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canadian_coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If looking at gold coins only, the $300 Gold Coin - Quebec Coat of Arms (2012) with a very low mintage of 500 is quite attractive. Value/Cost ratio is 72.6%. On the expensive side, not for my wallet.

Even higher Value/Cost ratio at 74.8% is the 1/10 Ounce Pure Gold Coin - Year of the Dragon (2012). However, mass produced, an unbelievable 38,888 coins can be released.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1496 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2012  11:53 pm  Show Profile Check poboxw's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add poboxw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Even higher Value/Cost ratio at 74.8% is the 1/10 Ounce Pure Gold Coin - Year of the Dragon (2012). However, mass produced, an unbelievable 38,888 coins can be released.

Not unbelievable if you compare it to bullion. Australian Lunar series silver and gold coins have 10x higher mintages in some cases and sell for more than double melt value. PAMP SUISSE gold bars go for about the same mark up and mintage on those are much Much more than 40,000. Even a current year 1/10oz gold maple leaf is now fetching more than $200. My money's on these gold dragons + any platinum 1oz coins the RCM decides to issue this year.
Valued Member
423 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  12:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add realpenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
poboxw: Did you get last years 1 oz platinum coin? It was very nice. I don't collect many NCLT's but I wanted that one. Way out of my price range though and a low mintage.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1496 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  12:17 am  Show Profile Check poboxw's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add poboxw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Was really lucky just recently, being able to by a 2007 Mammoth 1oz platinum coin for ~$2500. Still deciding whether I should flip it on eBay for the going price of ~$3500, or keep it (would have to hide it somewhere the missus won't mind if I do though....)

I'm betting on the RCM Pt coins and the gold dragons because of their appeal to both NCLT and bullion collectors. If gold continues to climb the dragons will do very well, and platinum will eventually follow. If platinum stays flat-lined, the relatively few choices out there fore 1oz platinum coins and the extremely low mintage of RCM Pt coins will still boost its value. Speculating on the price of these coins aside, I always found RCM Pt coins to be exquisite, and I've voice my fondness for the gold dragons numerous times on the forum already
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
814 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  03:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SilverBug to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
how about that $350 flower series? I saw one 2010 version on sale for $2,399 ONLY, mintage 1,400 with 35g 99999 gold, using 9999 gold price 1716/oz the value/cost ratio is already 80%...
United States
27 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  11:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add suresh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silverbug, Where was it? I would love to get one :-)
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
814 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2012  12:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SilverBug to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@suresh:
http://colonialacres.com/products.p...29248&ref=49
Previously Banned Member
107 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2012  7:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coinvet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first 2 coins in the silver wildlife series (wolf & bear) did very well in 2011. I think the 2012 cougar will also do quite well. The first coin in the series (wolf) sells for over double its bullion value or issue price. For anyone who can, I would recommend buying 500 pieces of the 2012 silver cougar as an investment. Collector demand will drive its value up by 50% or more. If the bullion value increases, the value will increase even more.
Edited by coinvet
01/30/2012 7:10 pm
Valued Member
Canada
277 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2012  7:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add twoplustwo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1oz cougar was released 3-4 months ago. It has not appreciated much over melt value..
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
814 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2012  7:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SilverBug to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the 2006 half oz timber wolf is a better deal, I tried to get as many as I can find when it was around $22, but only got 12 coins so far
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05