Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 Canadian Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 Canadian Commemoratives and Non-Circulating Coinage (NCLT)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Future potential of new 2012 RCM releases?

Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
442 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2012  5:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vinnycoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd be all over the 1/10 gold dragon if it weren't for the darn Provincial sales tax. I think I'm in one of the 2 provinces in all of Canada to have to pay PST on bullion coins from the mint :(
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1496 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2012  5:21 pm  Show Profile Check poboxw's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add poboxw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The 1oz cougar was released 3-4 months ago. It has not appreciated much over melt value.

That's because it hasn't sold out yet
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
Canada
1524 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2012  10:59 pm  Show Profile Check samsnate's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add samsnate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How much do you guys and gals think a complete set of silver maples all mint sealed would go for? 1988 - 2012?
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1496 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2012  02:33 am  Show Profile Check poboxw's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add poboxw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i honestly don't think it'd be too much more than if they were housed in capsules. The mylar they come sealed in does not prevent bag marks, nor are they air tight after just a few years (i've seen late 90s sealed silver maples tainted to kingdom come more than once). Silver Maples, especially when we're not talking about the privy marked or proof finished ones, are bullion coins no matter how you package them.

But, this question will probably be better answered over at the PM and bullion forum
United States
27 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2012  5:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add suresh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@SilverBug: Thanks for the pointer. Looks enticing. If they drop it another 100 bucks I am in for sure.
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  5:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wally to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am curious if anyone has an opinion on why or how Canadian Mint can put out a "Specimen Set - 25th Anniversary of the Loonie (2012)" with a mintage of 35000 and it does not sell out in days or go up in value. In the US the mint produces unlimited numbers of Uncirculated Sets( probably over 1 Mil ) and people keep buying them. I personally find Canada coins a whole lot more interesting and innovative. What is it going to take for them to catch on it a bigger way. I have dozens of the whole Wildlife seires and a few of the $20 for $20 series. Going to go for the 25th Anniv. Loonie also. Thanks, Wally
Valued Member
Canada
444 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  6:10 pm  Show Profile Check Lithanial's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lithanial to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
^Despite the mishap with the Lunar series, the RCM has been doing an okay job with keeping their mintages low. Could be better, but then they need to make money also. The $20 for $20 idea was stellar, along with the designs. The wildlife bullion thing is also extremely popular. I am getting the sense that they may extend it beyond the 6 initial releases, which I would gladly welcome a different animal or two every year, as long as they don't cram more releases in there. They are overdoing it with three $20 for $20's per year, which could kill the set sooner. But that is better than doubling the mintage.
Waiting for Ziz
Edited by Lithanial
02/25/2012 6:11 pm
Valued Member
Canada
404 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  10:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add North of 49 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would keep an eye on the "new" proof sets, the price may hold them back but I think they will at least hold their value but I'm guessing they will start looking more attractive this time next year.

We need to revisit this topic in the fall, time will tell.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
604 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  1:51 pm  Show Profile Check middross's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add middross to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
^^ Agreed that the $20 for $20 was a great idea, and is a safe investment. Many are already selling on eBay for $30+ plus shipping. Even with a 250,000 mintage they have sold out quickly and are apparently still in demand. Worst case scenario, it is currency and will always be worth the $20 that it costs to purchase from the mint.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
639 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  4:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrpiedfort to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Saw the proof set at my local dealer. I think it looks really nice especially the penny. In regards to the price, it does seem expensive, but when you compare with the proof sets of 2010 and last year's, it's about right I suppose. $159.95 for the Voyageur proof set and $179.95 for the Silver Dollar proof set, my guess is this new set will hold it's value, but won't appreciate much due to the 20,000 mintage. Should make it 10,000 instead imo.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05