Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The extra spine project

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

Canada
221 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  03:48 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add DvntMstr to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

This is going to be long and l apologize in advance but on the advice of a couple of well respected members here it needs to be put in print as soon as possible. Some peices mentioned here are being verified by CONECA for addition to the registry, others will soon be as well.

The information lm going to put here is to give all of you who are interested something new to search for and if it is in the wrong area please move it appropriately.

Some of you may remember that recently roll searching l found several of the 1968 extra spines in BU rolls, l already had the famous '64 in my collection but actually finding it myself lit the fire to search for more.

Some online searching gave me the the original list which was the 1939 extra spine, 1964 extra spine, 1964 extra bud, 1965 extra bud, 1966 extra bud, 1966 extra spine, 1968 extra spine, and the 1972 double spine. And I think the 1964 worm should be included in this list because it is similar in shape an cause to the 1968 just in a different place. I have read about a 1973 extra bud but l havent found one yet or seen a picture, but that is 10 varieties.

A fellow searcher, Guy Chaput, has found 4 which need to be added to this list: a 1963 new thorn, 1971 extra spine, 1977 extra spine and the 1984 broken bud, plus a friends recent 1964 new thorn, that is 5 more so we are up to 15 now.

If you know about the 1965 extra bud - well l found one just like it on 1970 (it is being verified now by CONECA to be added to the registry)in Ken Potters opinion it is also an example of hub doubling, plus on 1970 I have found a worm variety and an extra spine up by the leaves. I was looking for the 1971 extra spine to have in my set but didnt find any in my rolls, what l did find was a new bud growing beside the bud. In 1972 I found an extra bud and an extra spine and in 1983 l have found an extra bud. But maybe my favorite is the 1957 extra spine, no one has found one before on a coin that is alreaddy so old l think it must be very rare. So with those 8 added to the list there are 23, if you dont count the worms 21 but l think they belong lol.Im not sure if lm more proud of the 1970 or the 1957, maybe both :) one extra spine one extra bud.

I dont have all the ones on the list yet in my set l am
still looking but l do have quite a few of them. Anything l
discover l must find more than 3 of them or it is not counted, some l was able to find several of.

This is an area not many have looked into or searched for besides the well known '64 extra spine and '65 extra bud and there remains a lot of room for others to make finds which will fill in the gaps. From the oldest I have found, 1957 to the most recent, 1984 there is a span of 27 years, remove the '67 centennial from that count and there are 26 years. Of these 26 years, extra spines or extra buds or both have been found in 13 of them ..... whats waiting to be found in those other 13 years ? If anyone is aware of others that have not been listed here Id love to here about them.

Pictures will follow shortly,as will theories on cause. Sorry for being so long :)but ld love to hear what you guys think

Valued Member
Canada
221 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  05:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DvntMstr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1970 extra bud - sorry about quality. lm not a photographer but l will try to get good ones if possible

Valued Member
Canada
221 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  05:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DvntMstr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1957 extra spine

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1158 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  12:19 pm  Show Profile Check cladhunter13's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cladhunter13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will have to dig out the ones I have found and take pictures for you. I can not remember which years I have. It will be a good project for this weekend.

I do have some pics saved on photobucket and I will post them here for yah.

1964 extra bud MS62

1968 extra twig? I have found 3 like this so far. This pic is from the first I found.

1964 extra bud

1964 extra bud

1964 Big pic...sorry. There is doubling of the spine.

I will dig through my flips and see what I have that I can get pics of for you.
Check out my current eBay Auctions http://www.ebay.com/sch/louisetimg1...pg=50&_sop=1
One of my favorite Coin Roll Hunting finds of 2010
Valued Member
Canada
221 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  12:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DvntMstr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice pics cladhunter. your last one is the worm and the 68 is the same as the ones lve found :)
Valued Member
Canada
434 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  12:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add secoinedchance to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I need the USB microscope....I love looking for this kind of thing!

Clad, are you on another site, s/n? More of a detecting site? Just wondered...if it's you I have a question about one of your posts...
Edited by secoinedchance
01/26/2012 12:31 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1941 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  12:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
secoinedchance...USB microscope, the only way to go.
The question is more important than the answer
Valued Member
Canada
221 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  12:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DvntMstr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1968 extra spine

Valued Member
Canada
64 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  1:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cubro99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I spotted this one but I wouldn't call it an extra spine, its in the right position though.
http://s989.photobucket.com/albums/...ngxspine.png
http://s989.photobucket.com/albums/...ne_small.png
This close up is not doubled, just glare from the sides.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1158 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  2:45 pm  Show Profile Check cladhunter13's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cladhunter13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Clad, are you on another site, s/n? More of a detecting site? Just wondered...if it's you I have a question about one of your posts...

Yes...I use the same id on a Canadian Metal Detecting site as well. Ask any thing you want. You can PM me if you like on either site.
Check out my current eBay Auctions http://www.ebay.com/sch/louisetimg1...pg=50&_sop=1
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1158 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  2:49 pm  Show Profile Check cladhunter13's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add cladhunter13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
nice pics cladhunter. your last one is the worm and the 68 is the same as the ones lve found :)

Thank you. I will have to take new pics of the coins. These were taken with my old camera and I want to try with my new camera or maybe the microscope. The first is a pic I took through a 30X Loupe that I adapted to fit over the old cameras lens. I will need to remake it for the new camera. I should make a difference going from the old Kodak 4MP to the new Canon 16MP.
Valued Member
141 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  4:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coiladdict to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is great..I'm learning so much more about different varieties I didn't quite know about before from this post.

Take care
Valued Member
Canada
221 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2012  5:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DvntMstr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Im not sure what to think about that one cubro - its in the right place, it actually looks like there are a few things going on with it. Its definitely worth looking at closer.
Valued Member
Canada
64 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2012  03:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cubro99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DvntMastr if you are still looking for pictures of a 1973 extra spine, I have two different types in this album.
http://s989.photobucket.com/albums/...ra%20Spines/
Valued Member
Canada
221 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2012  05:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DvntMstr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thats a nice collection cubro and good pics too lm having trouble with my camera right now but l will try to get more up shortly. Cubro, if you can send me an email l have a couple of questions for you. Thanks
Edited by DvntMstr
02/03/2012 05:32 am
Valued Member
141 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2012  07:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coiladdict to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I think I have one to add to the project...1974

Sorry about this pick..if you can't see it too well I try and take a better one

Take care

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05