Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1918 one Shilling. Fake?

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lithuania
9 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2012  4:00 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Kortesas to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hello everyone.
I would like to ask about this coin that found when metal detected. As I know one shilling 1918 should be of 925 probe but this one doesn't look like a silver at all. So I guess it is fake?

Moved to British Coins forum - Sap

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1610 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2012  4:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Apollo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks copper plated and the plating is peeling off.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
5063 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2012  4:09 pm  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

It could be a contemporary forgery or it could just be encrusted with something
Aim to Enjoy life. You only get one shot at it
Lithuania
9 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2012  5:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kortesas to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much for your opinions and welcome :) Seems to be I need to get back to that place and look if I will find anything more.

Thank you :)
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2012  9:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
, Kortesas!

It looks cast. Does it ring like silver? Weight?

That edge separation doesn't look right.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
9688 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2012  9:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

A Shilling was worth something in 1918; there would be a good profit motive to counterfeit.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
8873 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2012  12:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The usual cheap methods to identify any fake coin:

1.General appearance
2.Close examination under magnification
3.Ring test
4.Weigh it
5.Diameter
6.Discussion on this Forum
7.Take it to an experienced dealer for an opinion.
8.A superimposed image of the suspected fake over an image of a known genuine example is a powerful tool to aid the identification of fake coins.
9.Scientific tests may be available, but they can cost an arm and a leg.

If it is an ancient, style and fabric should be considered and Forums that have a list of known fakes is a great help.

Keep any fake coins you have for personal reference. Don't ever sell them. That would be NASTY! Give them away to people who have a strong interest in numismatics, not your friends who may not.

That should weed out 98% of fakes. It is the other 2% that worry me.

For the other 2% all of the above may not be good enough. If you are really keen to buy a big ticket item, it will have to come from an auction or dealer with an internationally recognised reputation and trust them. keep all of the purchase and provenance information.

Is the coin pictured a fake? I think it is, but I only have the picture plus opinions expressed here, to help me to that opinion.

Edited by sel_69l
01/30/2012 01:07 am
Lithuania
9 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2012  3:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kortesas to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Biggfredd,
coin weight is 5.28 grams. It is not a silver (not a 925 or 500 probe). Definitely other metal. I don't know the weight of original coin.

Sel_69l, not going to sell it :) In any case it is not from a flea market but I personally dug out. If it is fake then it is a unique coin. Probably a fake from period when this coin circulated. It has different numismatic worth. We can't compare this fake to modern fakes.

Thank you for help :)
Lithuania
9 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2012  3:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kortesas to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By the way, I tested on magnet. It doesn't stick to magnet. Size of coin is 1:1 to original size.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
9688 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2012  4:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your coin is underweight by ~ 7%. I'm guessing an intentional fake in bronze/brass that may have had a silver wash to pass in circulation. Burial in the ground probably stripped off what remained of the plating.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1733 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2012  4:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ugly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still a great find to locate that piece, arguably better than finding a real one.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
5063 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2012  4:57 pm  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Still a great find to locate that piece, arguably better than finding a real one

Whoever made this was taking one heck of a risk so that makes this coin far more interesting than a genuine shilling in my opinion.
Aim to Enjoy life. You only get one shot at it
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2012  04:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Probably a fake from period when this coin circulated.

The term for that is "contemporary" counterfeit.
Lithuania
9 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2012  09:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Kortesas to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello everyone,
thank you for help. I really appreaciate.

Biggfredd, thank you. In future I will know.

Today again went to the same woods and found six pence 1914. Weight is 2.7g. It should be 925 probe but ...

Pillar of the Community
United States
1234 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2012  09:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add timsumrall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice woods :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
796 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2012  5:59 pm  Show Profile Check colonialjohn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add colonialjohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting piece ... it peels like an electrotype but no seam on the edge? Not cast the letters are too well defined.Reeded edge. Unusual. Too bad your not from NJ (USA) but Lithuania like to XRF this baby. Interesting CC.

John Lorenzo
United States
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.19 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05