Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Poll: Where do you buy your coins from?

Previous Page | Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
266 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2012  3:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add f16 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I buy coins from the monthly bna (buffalo numismatic association) coin shows I go to.
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2012  3:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
, 1lostcoin!

Quote:
I mainly been buying from eBay.

Minor correction. You have been buying on eBay. eBay is like a giant newspaper classified section, not a supermall.

Quote:
Most prices start out higher than what book price are and then you have to add in shipping

Sellers have to do that to protect themselves, because eBay functions so poorly as an auction, and fees are so high.

Quote:
I been seeing where people are overpricing shipping and handling to make up profit. eBay does not get percentage of shipping and handling costs.

They do now, changed a few months ago.
Valued Member
United States
266 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2012  4:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add f16 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
welcome 1lostcoin to ccf
Valued Member
United States
284 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2012  09:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DM1975 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I try to always buy from my local shop first. Get a good repor with a local shop and they will treat you fair. If I can't find it local then I go to reputable on line dealers or top rated eBay sellers.

As for shopping here, I haven't found anything that I really wanted to buy here yet at a price I was willing to pay.
Valued Member
United States
78 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2012  12:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add corey9493 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I buy mostly at the LCS, but have gotten a FEW deals on eBay that I snatched up, but mostly I use eBay to see what the market prices on things are.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  06:29 am  Show Profile Check enworb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
tanganiguna

but I dont know about eBay being the most trusted marketplace, some pretty dodgy s-word happens on there.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
5063 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  06:33 am  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
tanganiguna.

Quote:
prefer only eBay, its the most trusted online marketing place

Stick around and get some quality posts under your belt.
I have been buying on eBay for years and have had mixed results.
I have bought here on CCF and have had nothing but outstanding results.
Collector to collector is a far better way of getting the coins you want/need, instead of some of the shady characters on eBay
Aim to Enjoy life. You only get one shot at it
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1710 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  07:28 am  Show Profile Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have done most of my buying and selling on eBay because of the HUGE exposure as a seller, huge inventory as a buyer, and it's darn good buyer/seller protection. That protection alone is worth a lot to me. I have had well over 2000 transactions and maybe only 2-3 individuals who just can't grasp reality.

I have also had a couple of transactions from this group that have worked out very well and a couple more good exchanges from other forums. There is an added insecurity though but so far so good.

I also buy direct from the Mint and some great online coin dealers that I found initially on eBay.
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  3:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Eupion to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
LOL, maybe just take the word "Poll" out of the title. And I'm the same as "just carl." I could never buy anything online, especially from eBay. I also need to physically see and "handle" the coin before I make a purchase.

I'm sure the cost of gas to get to a coin show or local dealer would probably even out with the shipping/handling costs and other fees applied during online sales, but at least I can haggle and not worry about getting the last second bids in.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1234 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  3:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add timsumrall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have "one" shop locally. When I said I was upgrading my cents to EF they laughed. They are all about flipping silver and gold. I bought a lot of low price stuff from eBay but lately I've been sticking to CCF members for higher priced stuff. The big keys I'll likely want to see them first so I'll need another venue. Shows are infrequent but so is buying key dates :)
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  5:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shooligan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I usually go to the monthly coin auctions at a
nearby auction house.
Valued Member
United States
288 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  6:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VetStudent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I buy em from the fleas---- flea markets and eBay
Pillar of the Community
United States
1392 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  9:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SteveCaruso to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I buy primarily from banks (as the majority of what I do is roll searching :-) ), but the specialty items I collect (ASEs, Venezuelan Bolivares, and counterfeits) I buy from any of three local coin/bullion shops, and the local auction house has large numismatic lots every few months from estate sales.
-Steve (GSNA R-2306)
The Black Cabinet
A Database of Counterfeit Coins.
Counterfeit identification and attribution services.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  1:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At least at coin shows and flea markets (or anywhere you can see the coin in person) you can cherry pick and get some great bargains.
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  12:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ridge_Runner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin shop. It's a block away from my house. I love the conversation there. I've learned more there than I could've imagined possible. I'll hate the day I have to move.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05