Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My ThreePence has bumps on each side? :L

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United Kingdom
10 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2012  1:54 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add gaming321 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have a ThreePence which has bumps on the left and righthand side. I'm sure there is an explanation as to why however I can't think of one.

Please can someone help.

Here is an image to get a better idea: http://s822.photobucket.com/albums/...ent%3D20.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11120 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2012  2:54 pm  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The picture is too small to be 100% sure but it is almost certainly solder from an old pin attachment.
ANA R-3151318
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5471 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2012  3:41 pm  Show Profile Check nohope587's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nohope587 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Richard Barnes www.mycoins.us
(www.winsociety.org) WINS#366
eBay nohope587 ANA#1200381
Coins for trade
http://www.mycoins.us/Trade/CCFtrades.htm
United Kingdom
10 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2012  4:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gaming321 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for you're replies :)

As you can probably tell, I'm quite new to collecting coins. I've just started metal detecting with a friend of mine.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1610 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2012  6:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Apollo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Metal detecting sounds like great fun. We're going to look in the shed for my dad's old MD so we can find cash on the beach.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
5048 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2012  6:08 pm  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it could have been mounted as jewelry at some stage.
The bumps are probably bits of solder
Aim to Enjoy life. You only get one shot at it
Pillar of the Community
United States
786 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2012  5:42 pm  Show Profile Check colonialjohn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add colonialjohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Exactly Trout1105 at one time it was used as a brooch. This is the after effect.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
203 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  10:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anaximander to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I recently saw for sale a silver 3d with a small hole bored through just above Victoria's head, which makes me think it was once worn on a neckchain or bracelet. ( Shame to do this to such a nice coin !).

Apparently wearing coins as jewellery is not new. I recently read that in mediaeval Venice, Italy, Zecchins were sometimes worn on women's clohing, from which we get our word "sequin".
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05