Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 Canadian Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 Canadian Coins, Bank Notes, and Paper Money

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Modern quarters.

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
coincollect1
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1725 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2012  12:02 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add coincollect1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Is it a waste of time and money too collect the mordern quarters like the Olympic ones? Or just start a different set of coins?

Canada
35 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2012  12:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ship of fools to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me the answer would be " why are you collecting them is it for the set or for something you'd like to make money on down the road" Myself I collect for both reasons and sometimes just because I like the looks of them.ship
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1370 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2012  12:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petersun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Get free collector's cards from the mint and put uncirculated special coins onto thee card.
Joined on Nov 05 2011
Became a valued member on Nov 28 2011
Pillar of the Community -- May 28 2012
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5175 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2012  1:51 pm  Show Profile Check SHAFTA9a's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is it a waste of time and money too collect the mordern quarters like the Olympic ones?

In a word 'yes' keep one complete set and take the rest to the bank, use the money to buy real coins like anything under 1967.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1733 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2012  1:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ugly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not a waste of time, the circulation items are part of the circulation collectors repertoire and you'd need one set to fill them out. I keep a few extra uncirculated because people are always looking for clean nice coins to help finish their circulation series.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
902 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2012  2:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littlemoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with Ugly on this one.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1725 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2012  3:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coincollect1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i agree with ugly....I would like to have a few uncirculated one's
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
Canada
510 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2012  11:05 pm  Show Profile Check EastVanRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add EastVanRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my experience (as someone who is trying to put together a complete set of gem-quality moderns), the worth of collecting modern circulation strike quarters depends on grade and eye appeal. The higher grade and better looking, the more worthwhile.

2005 or so to date are very easy to obtain, and there appears to be a lot that get third party graded at MS66 or 67. Whether this is grade inflation, or from careful harvesting of mint rolls, I can't say.

2001 to 2004 are fairly easy to obtain in MS65, but not in MS66.

1999 and 2000 Millenium series circulation strikes are fairly difficult to obtain in MS65, and full Trends prices will likely get you outbid on eBay. MS64's are fairly easy to get.

1980 to 1996 are for the most part quite difficult to obtain in MS65, and quite expensive. I think these didn't get much love from collectors when they came out, so not very many real nice ones got set aside (or the RCM was having quality issues). Much easier to obtain in MS64.

1968-1979 are reasonably easy to obtain in MS65, and significantly less expensive than the 1980's. MS64's are even more common.

If you don't care about whether or not its a circulation strike and just want to fill holes, you might want to consider the mint sets for 1992, 1999, 2000 and the Olympics. These look very sharp and can usually be found for usually around $12 or so per set.

Member, RCNA and Vancouver Numismatic Society
Pillar Of The Community
Germany
706 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2012  05:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add augsburger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is collecting coins a waste of time. Yes, if you don't actually enjoy collecting the coins.

We all collect for our own reasons. Many people like to collect older coins, I like to collect more modern coins and get one of each, excluding dates and mintmarks and sometimes even metal composition if they are the same colour and size.
Why? I don't know, it's just what has me interested, perhaps because I like travelling.

Just do what you want to do. If you want to collect them, then do. If it is money you are after, then the whole coin business is probably not the right place.
Valued Member
Canada
133 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2012  09:43 am  Show Profile Check lesinwestvan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add lesinwestvan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think any collection (coins or other things) is a waste of time if that's what you are interested in. I collect all coins and love putting together my modern sets. I'm a collector first so don't really care about value down the raod.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1118 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2012  12:45 pm  Show Profile Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
time is a pretty limited and valueable resource, once you spend it you can never get it back.

as far as modern coins... face value... by the time they are worth anything your time will be long spent.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5175 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2012  2:32 pm  Show Profile Check SHAFTA9a's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
as far as modern coins...face value...by the time they are worth anything your time will be long spent.

and.. you will probably be long gone, unless you are 10 years old and starting now.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1725 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2012  4:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coincollect1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ahh! im 13
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1118 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2012  5:37 pm  Show Profile Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
13 ! do yourself a favour and dont collect anything that can be spent as cash when you hit 16 !
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5175 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2012  7:20 pm  Show Profile Check SHAFTA9a's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
do yourself a favour and don't collect anything that can be spent as cash when you hit 16 !

Good advise!
Valued Member
United States
138 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2012  12:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WVUcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Living in the US I have found a few of the1999 200 Millenium quarters in my change and I think they are cool and have started collecting the series. Think of all the Time and money I am going to waste collecting those here, But I'm going to enjoy every minute of it.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05