Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

8 reales, 1748, Mexico - fake or not ?

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
France
1353 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2012  2:59 pm Show Profile Check MathieuMa's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add MathieuMa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hello Community :)

I'm again posting a coin from another place - I've my opinion on it, but would like a second opinion (and because of this, I won't post mine as of now).
For you, is this a fake or not ? (and why)

Thanks in advance !

Pillar of the Community
United States
626 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2012  5:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tokenmast to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mint Mark, Map looks off, edge looks to me ( not an expert )very poorly cast,
The coin is a force, TFDwall. TrueField Detective . CR.TM... Tools and Instruments. Testing> Counterfeit-silver/off metal.
Valued Member
Philippines
383 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2012  10:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pandesalapi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MatheiuMa - congratulations for posting your 500th
It's a counterfeit off-scale edge.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1395 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2012  11:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jfransch to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks all wrong to me. Lettering is wrong especially on the Plus Ultra
"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Pillar of the Community
France
1353 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2012  04:46 am  Show Profile Check MathieuMa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add MathieuMa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is what I didn't liked on that coin :
* The edge is much damaged, compared to both sides. This is hardly possible on a regular coin (even sea salvaged)
* On the first picture, the letters look mushy, and the coin's background looks like a sponge (unlike high points - sea damage would have been everywhere if that's what it would have been)
* Some extra metal on the pillar die : on top of the left mint mark, under the top you and E, under the left N and on the right of the right bottom flower.
* The denticles are irregular near the left mint mark

As for the map and pillar Plus Ultra, it looks "too clean" - but not that much wrong compared to this one for example :
http://www.coindatabase.com/coin_de...?cdb=K200502
Valued Member
United States
275 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2012  11:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Larryh86GT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The dentils are poorly done and aren't the breaks on the right and left of the shield indicative of a counterfeit also?
Pillar of the Community
France
1353 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2012  4:06 pm  Show Profile Check MathieuMa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add MathieuMa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Larry86GT : I think I remember that the master dies were made with parts of the shield - top and bottom, and that the lion / castle were added after.
I'm not sure when though, but I think I remember (again) that those dies changed in time ... I don't manage to find that discussion in the archives though :/
I'm not sure this is a 100% bullet proof clue.

Oh, cool, I'm over 500 post, now a Pillar of the Community :D
Thx for the heads up Pandesalapi - I didn't noticed :)
I'll post a set of coins to celebrate this :D
Pillar of the Community
United States
626 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2012  8:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tokenmast to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MathieuMa

looking at them side by side ( your link ) the maps do look almost identical! Left mint mark still funny, but what is up with that edge?

Oh YES 500 plus! or Plus Ultra...
The coin is a force, TFDwall. TrueField Detective . CR.TM... Tools and Instruments. Testing> Counterfeit-silver/off metal.
Edited by tokenmast
02/07/2012 9:36 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
771 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2012  11:28 pm  Show Profile Check ilikeikes's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ilikeikes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You need a specific gravity test(type in search box), and/or xray analysis to confirm. According to Swamperbob, the use of transfer dies is making detection a bear..the edges are the clue, but, I'm no expert on these.
My PCGS 5 Oz. ATB SP Registry Set:
http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistry/pub...spx?s=121760
Redwood Empire Coin Club#788
ANA#3144406

Valued Member
United States
490 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2012  11:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Westwood Arms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would not buy this coin as genuine. Not sure how it was made though.
Pillar of the Community
United States
755 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2012  11:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add realeswatcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I note no one makes any mention of the toning...
Pillar of the Community
France
1353 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2012  02:17 am  Show Profile Check MathieuMa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add MathieuMa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't buy that coin either - I just don't want to tell someone I'm 100% sure he bought a fake if I'm not that sure :p
Valued Member
Australia
262 Posts
 Posted 02/08/2012  06:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nicwinner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i won't take it anyway
Pillar of the Community
France
1353 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2012  1:30 pm  Show Profile Check MathieuMa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add MathieuMa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TwoKopeiki & Swamperbob, if you watch this - could you please post your opinion ?

Pillar of the Community
United States
845 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2012  1:41 pm  Show Profile Check colonialjohn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add colonialjohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
... anyway ... have some Sheffields for sale ... see seller: johnmenc ... listed as regals. But if you read this and want some Sheffields ... good luck. Some have distictive peeling. Can supply XRF data upon request after the E-Bay sale.

John Lorenzo
United States
Pillar of the Community
France
1353 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2012  2:25 pm  Show Profile Check MathieuMa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add MathieuMa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought sheffield was plated - if it's regal silver (90%) - then it's not a sheffield, right ? (it could be a birmingam restrike though)
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05