Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Noodling find of the week?

Previous Page | Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 49
Pillar of the Community
Australia
872 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2012  9:25 pm  Show Profile Check Jeff's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jeff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't think anyone else is going to put their noodling coins up, because somehow I just think they won't compare, that is unless the 2000 mule pops up.
I won't mind being trumped by 2000 $1 mule. Also, I put a rather liberal definition to "noodling"; if someone finds a 1923 ½d or 1925 penny in an old jar from a garden shed I would like to see it here.

Quote:
I noticed today that someone else has put one up for auction so hopefully that doesn't detract from yours too much.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-wavy-l...em4ab40067c9
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Australian-...em27c3670e93Was listed last week at $299 start, $325 Buy it now. No bids then.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Australian-...em27c367fd5aCheck the asking price -not much threat from this one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-20-CEN...em3cc23a83ba
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-20-Cen...em33710a8400
http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Cent-Coi...em2319c64e5f
Just my luck the week I have somethging really good to list is the week many others turn up.

Jeff
"If you want to know what God thinks of money, look at the people He gives it to." Joe Moore
Edited by Jeff
02/14/2012 9:53 pm
Pillar of the Community
1119 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2012  03:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erkle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
none of them look similar to my eye could there be fakes? or are there that many that they varied so much?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
872 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2012  04:54 am  Show Profile Check Jeff's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jeff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
none of them look similar to my eye could there be fakes? or are there that many that they varied so much?
I found when photographing a couple of these that appearance can vary significantly with direction of light. I sat them next to a glass door and took four shots of each with 90º rotation between shots.
Surprisingly large difference in appearance between shots. I think I have deleted the rejectpics but I might repeat the exercise and post the shots later.

Jeff
"If you want to know what God thinks of money, look at the people He gives it to." Joe Moore
Pillar of the Community
1119 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2012  05:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erkle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
lighting could explain it
Valued Member
119 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2012  04:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add thesandpit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck with your auction Jeff. Up to $100 now.

I was talking with Tony Byrne who was chief numismatist (I think that was his title) at the RAM in the 1960s and 1970s. He said that after examining the wavy 2 twenties they came to the conclusion that it was caused by a damaged die. The most likely explanation is that a die was put on its side on top of a freshly made die before it had time to harden. It was certainly not a purposeful design change aa the design of the 20c had already been decided upon.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
977 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2012  4:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ozcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your contribution thesandpit, not many people would be able to find out facts like that.
Good luck with your auction Jeff.
Wavys seem to be in high demand, so I think you will do well.
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2012  7:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$200+ Ozites apparently never heard of sniping.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2012  7:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$200 is a very good price for Jeff. I estimate mine being worth around $100 but I think I will have to revise that up now. I have also noticed that Sunday nights (after 6pm) are no longer as good for ending auctions and have adjusted mine to end around 4pm on saturdays now. There used to be heaps of sniping but I noticed the last month it has dried up, on my items anyway.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
855 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  4:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add goatieman23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all...I did my first real noodling yesterday just before the bank closed at about 4:55pm. I had to wait a couple of hours for the wife to pick me up from work so I changed $20 for 5c pieces (400 x 5c pieces). To me this was a cheap exercise because we go through $10 of 5c per week anyway, the joys of selling products with the for $__.95c, you always tend to need too many of them.

In my bunch I found the two following coins. Initially I thought, lets see if I can get a 1972 5c. Everyone else seems to have one. So that was the aim.

The 1972 I found was actually quite nice. It had a lustre, but I small rim knock on the bottom, but I would expect that for the 5c I paid.

What else I found was not what I was expecting...a mis-strike. I was rapt. To me they always just seemed too hard to find. But that changed yesterday evening. It's just off rim on the obverse, so it's a goodie for my collection. Very exciting:

Pillar of the Community
Australia
872 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  4:50 pm  Show Profile Check Jeff's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jeff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's very good for just $20 searched.

Jeff
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  5:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very good from $20! I have done over $3000 of 5c now and only found one mistrike. Youre 1972 is also very nice.
Formerly nancyc
Australia
3718 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  7:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well done! to noodling! Great result.

With such a good outcome, I guess you'll be doing some more soon.
A friend is a present you give to yourself.

Nancy
Pillar of the Community
Australia
503 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  10:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FNQ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow - two very nice coins.

It's extremely rare that I check through 5's (other than what's in change), so maybe it might be time I did and find out what's currently going...
Pillar of the Community
Australia
977 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  12:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ozcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Goatieman23,
You have done extremely well for only 400 coins searched.
Dont get your hopes up that it will remain that easy!
I have gone through $2750 of 5c and only found one misstrike, and the 1972s are usually much worse condition than your find. In fact, I dont think any of mine are as good as that.
Congratulations!
Edited by ozcoins
02/25/2012 12:14 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
855 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  12:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add goatieman23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys, I guess it's a bit of luck of the draw. Which I guess tends to be the main issue. If we could all pull out 1972's in every $20, I think there'd be too many 1972 5c listed on eBay.
Page: of 49 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05