Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Tokens, Medals, and other Exonumia

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

1820 Blacksmith Token - Info?

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Drsandman2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1273 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2012  5:29 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Drsandman2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Howdy all!

Anyone recognize this? It looks like the old "HIBERNIA" coppers, but I know those were counterfeited often. I don't know anything about these blacksmith tokens. Has the date been reworked?

Thanks!

Pillar Of The Community
United States
731 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2012  5:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CheetahCats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will check later tonight for you when I get back to my desk, and confirm whether it's a blacksmith token.

In the meantime, if you'd like to learn more about Blacksmith Tokens, you can peruse an article here: http://www.novanumismatics.com/arti...atics12.html
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1273 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2012  5:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Drsandman2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CheetahC - Thanks very much! A whole new world to explore...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1273 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2012  5:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Drsandman2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So after reading about the blacksmiths purposely making ill dies that create "worn" coins... this coin may actually be AU?

I also found this resource:

http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/Col...h.intro.html
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1273 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2012  6:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Drsandman2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found something that looks just like it, but not EXACTLY. Doesn't look like the same die to me.

http://home.golden.net/~eloker/pics...tandharp.jpg

http://home.golden.net/~eloker/tokn2.htm

http://www.coinsandcanada.com/forum...pic.php?t=13

Bust and Harp Token (BR-1012)
This is a brass Bust and Harp (ca. 1837?), antedated 1820.
Edited by Drsandman2
02/09/2012 6:10 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
731 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2012  07:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CheetahCats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I pulled my original copy of Howland Wood's article from 1910.

The reverse of the Wood-22 resembles your specimen, but the obverse doesn't match.

My recommendation is to get a copy of the Charleton Guide for Canadian Colonial Tokens. More recent classifications of the Blacksmith Token a varieties are included in the guide.

Here's a link to the item on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Canadian-Colo...p/0889683212

If you decide to pursue Blacksmiths, I STRONGLY recommend obtaining the necessary books before pursuing.

As per grading of Blacksmiths -- indeed typical standards don't necessarily apply.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1273 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2012  11:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Drsandman2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've posted it on eBay in hopes that it can find a collector that may appreciate it more than I do!
Valued Member
United States
369 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2012  03:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cointagous to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at the 5th edition under Blacksmith imitations, the BL-35 is the closest I could find and was struck in 1820. The bust and harp look close but that is where the the similarities end. Different dies used, no date present, and there is a raised dot in the center of the harp among the strings. For comparison, the weight listed is 4.9 to 5.5 gr
Pillar Of The Community
United States
731 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2012  04:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CheetahCats to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Looking at the 5th edition under Blacksmith imitations, the BL-35 is the closest I could find and was struck in 1820. The bust and harp look close but that is where the the similarities end. Different dies used, no date present, and there is a raised dot in the center of the harp among the strings. For comparison, the weight listed is 4.9 to 5.5 gr

Yup. I know which one you're talking about -- I saw it in Howland Wood's write-up too.

I possess doubts as to the OP's specimen being an actual Blacksmith.
Edited by CheetahCats
02/12/2012 04:00 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
762 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2012  1:35 pm  Show Profile Check colonialjohn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add colonialjohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its not a Blacksmith. Just a Bust & Harp type.

John Lorenzo
United States
Pillar Of The Community
United States
762 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2012  1:37 pm  Show Profile Check colonialjohn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add colonialjohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The next edition of the Charlton book Canadian Colonial Tokens will be updated dramtically with Blacksmith information.

JPL
U.S.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1273 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2012  7:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Drsandman2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it an imitation or counterfeit bust and harp type? The photos that I'm finding do not match. On my coin, the bottom of the harp is over the 8 and not the 2. Easiest way to tell.

Looks like I need to relist my coin after we sort this out.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
762 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2012  08:34 am  Show Profile Check colonialjohn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add colonialjohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
None of the bust and harp types are blacksmiths. Period. But I am just one person. New B&H variety. There is a book on these beyond Charlton. Go there if you feel inclined.

John Lorenzo
United States
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1273 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2012  09:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Drsandman2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found this thread over in the Canadian forum. The coin posted matches the obverse die, but not the reverse. I'm into US classics, so this is not my territory.

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=110562

Thanks to everyone for their help. For fun, I'll weigh it and see what we get.
Edited by Drsandman2
02/13/2012 09:11 am
Brunei Darussalam
9 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2012  03:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Borneo1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of 25+ counterfeits that circulated. Brass or copper. If you find an 1825, let me know.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05