Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

PMG or PCGS Currency

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Australia
163 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2012  03:26 am Show Profile Check Eric's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Eric to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi all, what would you say is the preference of the currency market to third-party currency graders? Who would you choose: PMG or PCGS Currency?

I notice there appear to be more PMG notes out there, and the PMG website is much more professional than the PCGS Currency website.

Thoughts?

PCGS-graded Australian coins: http://www.drakesterling.com
Valued Member
United States
486 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2012  12:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add The Bill Collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I believe that PMG is the most accurate of the two, I grade all my own currency but if for some reason I had or wanted to have something graded correctly PMG is where I would go.

I check a lot of different TPG's just to see how close my grading is and it amazing how some of them grade.

Just for kicks check out the 1934 $1000 FRN post back on 1-18-2012, look close at the $ 20. note that was graded by PCGS, then ask yourself, would I pay VF price for a note like that, yes any TPG can make a mistake, and PMG may have made some also but so far I haven't found any, I'm not saying they aren't out there but I haven't seen them.

I can show you a lot of PCGS notes that to my eye aren't even close to being graded correctly. And it seemes easy to fine them. Of course some PCGS notes seem to be ok, I guess it depends on who is doing the grading at the time.
Regards
The Bill Collector

Pillar of the Community
United States
5967 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2012  3:57 pm  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some people are Brand Name people, and if they use PCGS for their coins they can submit their Paper as well. I believe that the same analogy holds true for Paper as for Coins...buy the Paper/Coin not the holder. I have a few bills that are TPG certified, but I bought them for the contents not the paqckaging.
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"

"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145

"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05