Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 Canadian Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 Canadian Coins, Bank Notes, and Paper Money

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

So This American Walks Into a Bank...

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
jwguts
Valued Member
United States
256 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2012  7:04 pm Show Profile Check jwguts's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add jwguts to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I just recently got hooked on collecting Canadian coins, because I find them all the time in my coin rolls down here in the Philadelphia area.

Coincidentally, I find I need to make a quick trip across the border in June. I'm starting to think about what I would ask for if I could walk into a Canadian bank and bring rolls back to my hotel room, say, $200 worth of coins.

So many questions...

Which rolls?

How will I get rid of them before I leave? Which Canadian banks have coin machines?

How much can I take back to the US without getting in trouble at the border?

I've been putting all current series together and have holes in my books everywhere.

I think old Canadian pennies are espcially cool, and can see getting a lot of those.

Do banks even have old nickel half dollars? They apprently are not exactly numismatic treasures, but a set of those would be fun.

Suggestions for putting my plan together?

Pillar Of The Community
555 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2012  7:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Neil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

$10,000
Valued Member
Canada
323 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2012  7:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RogerD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IF you find a bank or grocery store in canada with a coin machine let me know. Fifty cent pieces are not kept by banks, rolls of quarters are pretty good there is usually a lot of different ones. Suggest staying away from dimes, they take up to much time sorting through them trying to find anything interesting. Pennies are a good source for different dates, and nickel rolls primarily have lots of 2001 to 2009, trying to find anything pre 1960 is tough.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4208 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2012  7:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Canadian-Banknotes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
IF you find a bank or grocery store in canada with a coin machine let me know

I have personally never seen a coin machine in a bank, and the ones in the grocery stores charge some crazy percentage.
Want to Buy: PCGS Graded 1878-S Morgan dollar (PO-01)
Valued Member
Canada
240 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2012  8:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add staircase to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure how much you can take back across the border, but boxes of pennies and nickels have always been the best bet for interesting finds. Just call any branch of the RBC and have a chat with the people at the cash cage. Usually they have something available. Also, you can ask them for nickel halves and dollars. From personal experience they are the only bank that has them available on occasion. You 'half' to be lucky.

You can go on a sorting spree and take the duds to a bank with a coin counting machine. Luckily there is one here, only about a five minute drive from home, and they charge a flat rate of 1%. The last time I went there it counted up a cool six hundred or so dollars in pennies and nickels, and the fee was for real! Six bucks instead of spending hours hunched over, stuffing them back into the paper.

I should clarify that the machine here is located at a credit union. However, I've heard that BMO has some locations that offer the service, but where they are is a mystery to me. Apparently some locations in shopping malls, etcetera, charge around 10%, so avoid those!

Good luck!
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2012  8:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add War Nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you have a book? Would this be a good one to get? I recommend checking the price of the book US vs Canada as Canadian books are usually very expensive compared to what we are used to.
http://www.amazon.com/Canadian-Coin...p/088968328X
Maybe Haxby? They say his is the Red Book of Canadian coins...suggestions folks?
Happy hunting!
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2012  8:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add War Nickel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't forget to visit a Canadian Post Office! They sell coins too!

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/per...ts/index.jsf
I mean if you wanted to BUY some instead of FIND some....Still, couldn't hurt to check! Some keep later hours also...I saw one in a convenience store, it was a full-blown post office just sitting there, waiting for customers!
United States
46 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2012  8:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dave647 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
for what it's worth. I live in florida and go through a $100 in pennies a week. I have found canadian cents from 1920 to present. need a couple of keys to complete small cent set. just started large cents, about 75% finished. buy large and small cents at flea market for 25 cents each.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1194 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2012  9:26 pm  Show Profile Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
call ahead, often the machines are full or broken. some branches may have removed them all togther
BMO Ontario Coin Sorter Locations:
(bank of montreal)
877 LAWRENCE AVE E, DON MILLS, ON, M3C2T3 - 416 447-8576
OSHAWA CENTRE, 419 KING ST WEST, OSHAWA, ON, L1J2K5 - 905 432-6740
BLOOR&BAY (MANULIFE CENTRE), 55 BLOOR ST W, TORONTO, ON, M4W1A6 - 416 927-5915
BEDFORD&BLOOR, 242 BLOOR STREET WEST, TORONTO, ON, M5S1T8 - 416 867-4663
CITYPLACE, 26 FORT YORK BLVD, TORONTO, ON, M5V3Z3 - 416 867-6677
AVENUE RD&FAIRLAWN, 1705 AVENUE ROAD, TORONTO, ON, M5M3Y5 - 416 782-3508
WATERLOO MAIN OFFICE, 3 KING ST S, WATERLOO, ON, N2J3Z6 - 519 885-9250 (This used to be such a nice historic bank branch inside, then they renovated/ruined it)
LIME RIDGE MALL, 999 UPPER WENTWORTH STREET, HAMILTON, ON, L9A4X5 - 905 526-2055
HWY 7 & MCCOWAN, 900-5221 HIGHWAY #7, MARKHAM, ON, L3R1N3 - 905 474-1248
MAJOR MACKENZIE & BAYVIEW, 1070 MAJOR MACKENZIE DRIVE EAST, RICHMOND HILL, ON, L4S1P3 - 905 508-5859
HWY #48 & BUR OAK, 9660 HWY #48, MARKHAM, ON, L6E0H8 - 905 472-4890
QUEEN & HAMBLY, 2072 QUEEN STREET EAST, TORONTO, ON, M4E1E1 - 416 686-5012
CREDITVIEW & BRITTANIA, 6085 CREDITVIEW RD, MISSISSAUGA, ON, L5V2A8 - 905 567-5146
HOPEDALE MALL, 1461 REBECCA STREET, OAKVILLE, ON, L6L1Z8 - 905 847-2432

the grocery store versions will ding you 9-12% on "silver" and 15% on pennies.
OFEC 290 photo catalog
http://s1343.photobucket.com/user/v...library/OFEC

all done with an iPhone !
Valued Member
United States
256 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2012  08:05 am  Show Profile Check jwguts's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jwguts to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The TD Banks around here in the US all have coin counting machines. I figured it was a service they brought with them from their Canadian roots.
Valued Member
United States
256 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2012  08:25 am  Show Profile Check jwguts's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jwguts to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking up RBC was good... the branches around my destination are not open on Saturdays.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1415 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  1:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petersun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Which Canadian banks have coin machines?

RBC might has one.

Quote:

People at the border might tell you to open some of your rolls. DON"T PUT YOU COINS IN BAGS.
Joined on Nov 05 2011
Became a valued member on Nov 28 2011
Pillar of the Community -- May 28 2012
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4208 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  1:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Canadian-Banknotes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So This American Walks Into a Bank...

I am not sure why, but every time I see the title to this thread I think of this video, that I seen on YouTube a long time ago.
Previously Ousted
Canada
398 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  02:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coingirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NOT 10, 000..!!
10K you need to declare!
9,999.99 technicall6 you do NOT need to declare!
Valued Member
United States
256 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2012  11:48 pm  Show Profile Check jwguts's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jwguts to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, in the video, the guy bails out the American and pays for her coffee and donut. What a nice country. I'll try that!
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4208 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  12:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Canadian-Banknotes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think they all went together, and just pranked that lady.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05