Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Varieties at 4x

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
1584 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2012  07:09 am Show Profile Check rmpsrpms's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I just got a new piece of old glass in the mail Saturday and threw it on the bellows. Here is what I get. First image is a full-sensor shot at around 4-5x, downsized 4x. Second image is a 1600x1600 crop from the first image, downsized 2x.

This is the best I've been able to achieve at 4x so far. Anyone care to guess what the "new piece of old glass" is?

Builder of Custom Coin Photography Setups. Email me with your needs.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11210 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2012  10:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No clue. Those pics are WOW,color me jealous
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Valued Member
United States
462 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2012  11:03 am  Show Profile Check brg5658's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add brg5658 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The images and the magnification are stunning!

I have no idea on the lens, but I am excited to find out! Maybe a 28mm lens with an f of 2.8 or faster? Just a (not-so-educated) guess.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1561 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2012  11:45 am  Show Profile Check The_Duke's eBay Listings Check The_Duke's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add The_Duke to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All I know is "those pictures are crazy good"!!
The_Duke
ANA# 3159445
http://dukescoins.ecrater.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1318 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2012  1:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Drsandman2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What kind of set up you got going there, rmps?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
9679 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2012  1:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice shots, as always!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1584 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2012  10:23 pm  Show Profile Check rmpsrpms's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This was taken with my standard setup, but instead of the 75ARD1 I used a Nikon CF Plan 4x 0.13 objective. I also used a new Director I built just for the purpose, with a tiny tip that fits nicely between the coin and objective even though there is only 14mm working distance...Ray
Pillar of the Community
United States
3038 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2012  12:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aladinslamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very very nice Ray, and as always your research on lighting really shines! I was going to guess the missing E86 lenses your collecting...G
Valued Member
United States
462 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2012  12:44 am  Show Profile Check brg5658's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add brg5658 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nikon CF Plan 4x 0.13 objective

Care to expand on what this is and what all of the "jargon" means?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1584 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2012  12:55 am  Show Profile Check rmpsrpms's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, I love acronyms and jargon...

This is a microscope objective. Basically I attached a microscope objective to the bellows and made a mini-microscope out of it.

CF = Color Free, ie requires no color correction from the rest of optical system
4x is the optimized magnification
0.13 is the NA or Numerical Aperture. You can convert to effective aperture by calculating Feff = M/2*NA. So the effective aperture of this beast is f15, which is not bad at 4x. You can convert back to infinity aperture to compare to a normal lens by calculating Finf=Feff/(1+M) or Fin=3 for this lens.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3038 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2012  12:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aladinslamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
some times MATH has its virtue, and to many its out of this world LOL......I need to travel space...
Valued Member
United States
462 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2012  01:06 am  Show Profile Check brg5658's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add brg5658 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ray, thanks for the detailed information -- I love jargon too, and I even love formulas more! Now, care to explain any of the details about how one attaches such a "lens" to a bellows? Are there standard threads for such lenses and/or adapters? Is this in the pricing ball park of a Printing Nikkor or an EL-Nikkor 80mm? -- or somewhere in between?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1584 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2012  01:17 am  Show Profile Check rmpsrpms's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most of these objectives are "RMS" thread, which is 20mm in diameter. You can get RMS adapters to fit onto M42 bellows that are either flat or tapered (which are really cool looking) and you can also get RMS to 52mm reversing adapters for objectives that are "infinity" corrected (another discussion entirely). A lot of optical systems used RMS, and in fact the smaller Nikon Macro-Nikkors used RMS threads. So it's not terribly difficult to adapt, and if you have M42 bellows you are in great shape.

The gold standard for 4x objectives is the Nikon Plan Apo 4x 0.2. These will cost you at least $1k if you can find one. The one I bought is not an Apo and only has NA 0.13, but still does pretty well. I bought it on eBay for $125.

I have a few "run of the mill" 4x 0.1 objectives in the mail to test. I am not sure if they will give that great a result since their Feff=20, but they were cheap and I wanted to find out how good an image they can produce.
Valued Member
United States
462 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2012  01:30 am  Show Profile Check brg5658's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add brg5658 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool. The first thing I noticed on your image was that it was ridiculously sharp and the DOF was immense for that magnification. I figured possibly a 28 f/2.8 lens, as you'd be able to get to 4x and if you left it wide open you'd be shooting at Feff = 2.8(4+1) = f/15. Nonetheless, this is a whole new world of lenses for super-mag coin images. I love reading your posts! Thanks for all the info!
-Brandon
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05