Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1999 Nunavut Toonie

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
927 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2012  10:46 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add canuck1us to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I purchased a Specimen 1999 Nunavut Toonie, but to me the finish doesn't look like a Specimen finish. It was graded SP-69 by the National Numismatic Certification. (I realize that this TPG is somewhat questionable but would have thought that at least the finish would be correct!) I compared to another Non-Specimen 1999 Nunavut Toonie and a 1997 Specimen Toonie.

Before I ship it back, I would like some opinions. Charlton also mentions that the Specimen has a wide ring while the BU has a narrow ring. To me they both look the same in the ones I am comparing.

Here are photos for comparison:

1999 Nunavut Specimen (questionable):
I can't see a distinguishable lined finish.

1999 Nunavut MS (known):
The ring width looks the same as the photo above.

1997 Specimen (known):
This picture clearly shows the finish.

Pillar of the Community
United States
927 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2012  5:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canuck1us to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Must be a tough one!
Pillar of the Community
United States
927 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2012  06:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canuck1us to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
Pillar of the Community
United States
927 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2012  7:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canuck1us to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, since making my first post on here, I have since acquired a 1999 specimen toonie in the original RCM wooden case and have compared it to the slabbed "specimen" by NNC and the differences were readily apparent.

So, in conclusion, not only can't you trust the grade of an NNC slabbed coin, you can't trust the description either!

Pillar of the Community
United States
927 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2012  11:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canuck1us to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actual specimen coin:

Pillar of the Community
Canada
905 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  10:35 am  Show Profile Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Buying from NNC is not wise.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
964 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  6:30 pm  Show Profile Check Bm0ney's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Bm0ney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Rings all look the same size to me. Maybe I am not looking at it right.
"A 3rd class ride is better than 1st class walking." B$:)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05