Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Paper Money and Banknotes

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

How Did These End Up in Circulation?

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
barryg
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2862 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2012  1:26 pm Show Profile Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

No, I didn't just find some rare and valuable bank note, sorry...

Whenever I go to the bank, I always ask the tellers if they have anything "unusual" lying around, ostensibly for my 7-year-old son's coin collection. I've never gotten anything really noteworthy, but I occasionally snag some old Susan B. Anthony dollars or Kennedy half dollars that I use for visits from the Tooth Fairy.

Today, however, the teller told me that she had a bunch of $2 bills if I was interested, and I said sure, why not? I'm not really much of a bill collector, but I don't recall when the last time I ever saw any $2 bills "in the wild," so to speak.

Anyway, long story short, I ended up with 6 fairly worn Series 2003 notes. I'm assuming they're not worth anything over face value, and they don't have any interesting features such as consecutive serial numbers, stars, radar numbers, etc. I'll probably give the nicest one to my son and then spend the rest.

I'm just wondering, though, how the heck these ended up in circulation? That may be a dumb question but, as I said, I haven't seen one of these in circulation for least 30 or more years. I've seen them for sale at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing website in uncut sheets at a significant premium, but that's about it. Can you normally just go to your bank and ask for these like you'd ask for a box of half dollars?

Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
942 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2012  1:32 pm  Show Profile Check jgfindring's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jgfindring to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The answer is yes. I get about $100 a week in $2 bills from my bank to use as change in my shop. I find people love getting them in change. Much more fun than ones that they get everywhere.
Up to 371 Countries now! Working on Canadian, Australian and Euro type sets.
Completed US sets:Lincoln Memorial w/ proof;Lincoln Shield w/proof;Jefferson w/proof;Roosevelt w/proof;Washington w/proof;Statehood w/proof;Franklin;Kennedy w/proof;Eisenhower w/proof;SBA w/proof;Sacagawea w/proof;Presidential w/proof.
Close: LWC missing 2; Liberty nickel missing 3; Mercs missing 1; Walkers missing 2. 7070 type set missing 10.
I AM A COLLECTOR! I don't care if the value is going to go up, down or sideways! I don't collect coins to get rich, but as a hobby to RELAX!
United States
20973 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2012  2:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My mother-in-law loves the two dollar note. She gets them from the bank and uses them for birthday cards, stocking stuffers, and treasure hunts for kids (we are all grown) and grandkids alike. They are also commonly used at the gentlemen's clubs in my area, a fact well-known enough to get "looks" when I spend them.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
11071 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2012  2:43 pm  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, most banks carry them. If a bank does not order them from the Fed, they will typically have some on hand that were redeemed by customers. The most common series found in circulation are 1976, 1995, 2003, and 2003A. Older Red Seals can occasionally be found but they tend to be rather raggy. Special serial numbers and sheets are also available from the BEP for a premium price.
ANA R-3151318
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2862 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2012  3:04 pm  Show Profile Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmmm... So I could have gotten these at any time had I only known to ask, huh? Live and learn. They still seem "exotic" to me, but I guess there's no reason to put them away (especially since they're a bit beat up).

I may have to hold off giving one to my son, though. It occurs to me that, while he is extremely familiar with coins, he really doesn't have enough experience with notes to even realize how unusual it is to see a $2 bill in circulation...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
868 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2012  3:52 pm  Show Profile Check kookoox10's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add kookoox10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are out there in pretty healthy quantities. I bought up a couple straps that are brand new with consecutive serials. Even that crisp strap is worth no more than face.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2783 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2012  5:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Way back when ...
When money went a lot farther, the two dollar bill was both a treat and a curse.

In New York City, holding up a two dollar bill as you hailed a cab was a guarantee that the cab would stop for you.

Other people would shun the bill as "bad luck."

Go figure!
I have never met a Barber Coin which I didn't like. Visit us at the Barber Coin Collectors' Society
http://www.barbercoins.org/
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2862 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2012  12:30 pm  Show Profile Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I decided to spend most of them today at the Chinese restaurant where I picked up lunch. The guy behind the counter didn't even glance at them as he stuffed them in the register. I asked him whether he saw a lot of $2 bills and he said he just got some yesterday...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
942 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2012  12:42 pm  Show Profile Check jgfindring's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jgfindring to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's something I've noticed also. I use $2 bills, dollar coins and halves exclusively when spending small amounts of cash (under $20) and the fast food places and grocery stores have to stand there and puzzle over them for a while well they figure out what I gave them. The girl in Home Depot this morning even called a supervisor over to make sure she could take a $2 bill, but the two different Chinese takeouts I patronize never give any of my funny money a second glance.
Up to 371 Countries now! Working on Canadian, Australian and Euro type sets.
Completed US sets:Lincoln Memorial w/ proof;Lincoln Shield w/proof;Jefferson w/proof;Roosevelt w/proof;Washington w/proof;Statehood w/proof;Franklin;Kennedy w/proof;Eisenhower w/proof;SBA w/proof;Sacagawea w/proof;Presidential w/proof.
Close: LWC missing 2; Liberty nickel missing 3; Mercs missing 1; Walkers missing 2. 7070 type set missing 10.
I AM A COLLECTOR! I don't care if the value is going to go up, down or sideways! I don't collect coins to get rich, but as a hobby to RELAX!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2862 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2012  10:05 am  Show Profile Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I went back to the bank today. This time, instead of asking whether they had anything unusual, I just asked whether I could get $20 worth of $2 bills. Sure, no problem! I ended up with 3 series 1976, 4 series 1995 and 3 series 2003 -- all of them nice and crisp. I think I'll save the series 1976 just for the heck of it and spend the rest. And maybe I'll do that every week from now on (except that I won't bother saving every series 1976 I get). I figure I can check for interesting serial numbers and just have fun spending them.
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2012  11:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the days of the red seal $2, a car salesman always carried a crisp one in his outside pocket as a conversation piece. Last customer of the day got it.

$2 have been regularly used at racetracks for a standard bet. Because of this, many considered them bad luck.

If you see one with one or more corners torn off, that was to make a corner three-sided, like the trinity, to counteract the bad luck.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  3:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a great idea to get some from the different series. You are lucky to get crisp ones from 1976. Too bad they didn't have any crisp ones from 1963.

If you want to see the serial # ranges and the district banks they were printed for, look at this site:
http://www.uspapermoney.info/serials/all___b.html

Getting one from each district bank for each series would be a cool collection, especially if CU.
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  10:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MMA10mm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My dad would get $2 notes and leave them for tips at restaurants, give to the paperboy, spend on vacation, etc. It was like a treat for both him and the recipient whenever he gave them...
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  05:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
, MMA10mm!
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  06:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the tooth fairy always left $2.00 bills for my daughter. My bank has them all the time and all I had to do was ask for them anytime I needed to replenish my stash I kept for such occasions
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05