Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Silver Coins from Banks

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
360 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2012  01:36 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add j-win to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hey, I'm new to this site and I was wondering how collectors obtain silver coins from banks.. Do they just as easy as pie, ask the tellers if there's any silver coins in the bank? . Or do they just go into the banks every once in a while, hoping that the bank has some Kennedy halves and others? I would love to know how experienced coin collectors go about getting silver from their bank. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Valued Member
United States
162 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2012  01:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ZiggyZ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a numbers game. Generally, people search through thousands of coins to find the rare silver one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
569 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2012  02:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Owassokie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Jwin, The answer to your question has been written about many times and their are just as many opinions on where to go and what to say. So I'll just try and point you in the right direction. My advice is to pick a coin and start reading the hunter threads for that coin. I will say that if you go in and ask a teller for silver coins, they'll look at you with a blank stare for one of two reasons: a)they have no idea which coins are silver or b)they know exactly which coins are silver and have no idea why you would think they want to give you a coin that's worth 10, 20, or 30 times its face value, when they can keep it for themselves. You probably won't have much luck asking a teller for silver. I personally ask for half dollars, silver dollars, and sometimes will ask if they have anything "interesting or old". Sometimes ask if anyone has brought in rolls of coins as I believe there's a better chance of finding collectible coins in customer returned coins.

Okie

Okie
Pillar of the Community
United States
1099 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2012  02:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mitchhailey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've ordered countless boxes of dimes/halves/nickels from my bank, searched each roll and then re-rolled them all by hand. It takes time and patience. If your bank does order coins for you I STRONLY suggest that you do not bring the coins back to the same bank after you searched 'em.
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2012  05:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
, j-win!

If tellers pull silver, they almost always keep it or sell it for a premium.
Valued Member
United States
126 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2012  08:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add texfischer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If only it were that easy...
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2012  09:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and good luck with the roll searching.

You can also search for error and variety coins. They are found much more often than silver and they are worth the while to search for them, since most bring a premium.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2012  09:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add texansfan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It can be done, but as others have pointed out it's difficult to find silver coins. I have gotten lucky when buying loose halves and found both 90 and 40% silver.

I would ask for the CWR's, as a lot of people who need money just roll up loose coins they have and turn them in.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2012  10:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't expect to get rich off of this - you have to enjoy it. Yes, every once in a great while you hear about somebody getting a stash of a hundred silver half dollars, but that's the exception. Most of the time you find nothing, or one silver coin in a box. I usually find 1-2 silver dimes in a $250 box, and they're worth a couple bucks a piece for their silver content.

Considering the time it takes to search, you'll be working for like 10% of minimum wage, assuming you're pretty efficient at it.
Valued Member
United States
360 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2012  11:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add j-win to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you guys for all the help! I enjoy collecting old coins and silver coins, I'm not expecting to make money off this.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2046 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2012  5:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I searched $30,000 in bank coinage last year, and found the coins in my signature. Quantity silver. My dirtfishing finds produce the quality silver.
Someone once coined the phrase, "it's still out there".
Good luck!
Michigan
Oldest dug 2014: 1851 LC
Oldest dug: 1758 Reale
Minelab Explorer 2
Canada
23 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  9:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 15turtles to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
you almost never will find silver coins in canada, I know a few ppl who have..... the rate is bout 1 silver half per 2 years (from the ppl I know) maybe 10 or less silver dimes, the really occasional silver quarter.................................................... OTHER canadians on this forum might be more lucky but for me.... and mon amis, we arent lucky
Canada
23 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  9:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 15turtles to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sorry for the second post.... accidental press of the submit, for american banks, I dont do coins cause I dont have time, but I've got some nice star bills and 2 dollars 1976, for Canadian banks, try RBC royal bank or TD tronto dominion banks, they tend to have some older coins (halves and voyageurs) but I havent got silver yet, the closest to silver I've ever gotten is a 1968 dime, 1969 50c piece, and 2 1969 quarters...... not rlly lucky
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  9:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmwatson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Roll searching will take a lot of effort. There really isn't a magic way to better your odds in finding silver, it's just shear volume searched and the percentages will bear out that you'll find something. The other factor is just luck as to when you check with tellars and what has been dropped off at the bank.

Good luck in your search.
Valued Member
United States
286 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2012  03:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bbradford71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As many have stated, the tellers at your bank will be your best friends if you work at developing those relationships. I have several different tellers from several different banks that save and hold all of the CWR's of dimes for me and I pick them up each week. I am finding on average 1 silver dime for ever $200 searched. It may not seem like a lot but that is pretty good for dimes and I search around $1,000 worth a week. They also order me all the boxes I want and I am very good about being very thankful. They save all of the loose halves for me as well, even when it is obvious that the halves are clad I take them anyways and always thank them. I picked up some gift cards for Starbucks this weekend and plan to hand them out to show my thanks this week.
Valued Member
United States
259 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2012  08:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jdgarst0720 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It seems different, depending on where you are located. For instance, I live in a smaller town, with a large population of retired folks. IF I HAD THE TIME, then roll hunting could be most interesting. Lots of folks empty their change drawers or find stuff left by others. I have found it more difficult in larger, more populated areas. Small banks may have stashes of rolls, or nothing at all. It is an adventure!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05