Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Adhesive 2x2

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
581 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2012  10:59 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add MrCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I like the idea of self adhesive 2x2s but they are fairly expensive have any of you used say a glue stick ?
Do you think the adhesive would attack the coin inside ?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
5007 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2012  11:10 pm  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I personally wouldn't toy with the idea of a glue stick or any other adhesive.
I would just bite the bullet and pay the premium and get the self adhesive 2x2's.
I dislike the staple type because.
A. they are very unattractive with the crappy staples everywhere
B. There is every chance that the staples being made of steel can scratch the surface of an adjoining coin.
C. they get stuck when fitting them in 2x2 albums
D. they will eventually rust and contaminate the coin.

Remember the old adage that "You only get what you pay for"

Aim to Enjoy life. You only get one shot at it
Pillar of the Community
Canada
581 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2012  11:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes but is the adhesive on those any better ?What about good old Elmers?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
5007 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2012  11:25 pm  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lighthouse is my prefered brand
Aim to Enjoy life. You only get one shot at it
Pillar of the Community
Australia
8710 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  12:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I always use copper plated staples, never had a rust problem.
You can still use a self adhesive 2 x 2 if you want to, and still use staples. Just don't remove the paper covering off the glue surface.

I would not use any other glue, the stuff that is already there I guess was formulated for use in this application.

I use both types.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  01:40 am  Show Profile Check enworb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I prefer the stapled ones. I have used both. They are cheaper and if taken care of can be re used. I havent had issues but I just have these nightmares of the adhesive running and ruining the coin. If the staples rusted I assume it would take a long time and the staples are far enough from the coin to have any effect. When they are stapled neatly I dont notice them and actually like the fact that they are harder remove from album sleeves as theyre harder to lose when transporting.
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  09:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add charlesjcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I only use 2x2's if I am selling a coin and getting it ready for shipping and in that case I use the staple ones. If its a coin for my own personal collection then it will be put in a capsule or straight to a coin album. If your going to spend the money on the questionable self adhesive ones then you mine as well get capsules in my opinion.
Valued Member
Australia
243 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  10:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add enoilgam to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quite a few dealers I have spoken to refuse to stock self adhesives because they say that after a certain period of time, the adhesive runs and can get on the coins. Also, I have noticed that with quite a few of my older self adhesives, they have a tendency to pop open. Plus I find stapled 2x2's a better preference for me since I like my coins to be held tightly in the 2x2.
My CCF Gallery

Collecting since 2004
Learn More...
United States
21302 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  10:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use staples. I also use a pair of flat-nose pliers to flatten them, this prevents them from snagging the pockets when being inserted.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Pillar of the Community
United States
622 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  11:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add willy13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My thoughts;
I have a hard time believing the adhesive would run over time.

I like the self adhesive because it seems to give a more air tight seal.

I also use the cheaper stapled 2x2 for a coin that I want to set aside, but isn't worth much.

If your staples are rusting, you are not storing your coins properly.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3578 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  11:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've got coins in self-adhesive 2x2's from the mid seventies and there is no sign of adhesive movement any where.
Nowadays I use stapled 2x2's and, as jbuck stated, use a pair of flat nose pliers to flatten the staples. If it is a better coin I use plastic air-tite 2x2's.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2762 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  8:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Peter THOMAS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
if you search the CCF archives, you'll find plenty of stories of "self-adhesives" that spontaneously let-go.
And, you will understand that those which haven't yet let-go ... will do so, sooner or later.
Where's the peace-of-mind in that ?

The answer to the risk of scratching adjacent coins is either -
use pliers to flatten the staples; or
better still, spend $9, and get a "flat-clinch" stapler, which flattens them at the same time it closes them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1269 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2012  07:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like, and it does not surprise me, adhesive vs staples, and like the numis community itself, each has their own likings and dislikes.

Whatever you like and works for you. For me, its staples.

Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2012  08:55 am  Show Profile Check enworb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My count shows 6 to 3 in favour of staples
Pillar of the Community
Turkey
632 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2012  2:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add molydeii to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The word of warning from an ex-Lighthouse 2x2 user :
I've used Lighthouse self-adhesive 2x2's for about four to five years, finally abandoned all in 2011.
Nickel and silver coins tend to get a milky residue after sitting on them for a couple of years. This may be because of the very hot and humid weather we experience during summers in Istanbul, or maybe because of a faulty batch I receieved, or maybe because of the plastic quality. I've heard similar from other fellow collectors in Istanbul as well. Bottom line is, I switched to aclyric capsules for my coin,s which is sure as expensive as well, but protects them over time. A must for nickel and silver uncirculated coins for collectors living in hot/humid areas, I think.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
581 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  7:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MrCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to all the response.I have since found a archival quality adhesive in a glue stick called UHU. Acid free non toxic archival quality stated on the package. Just what I was looking for , guess what it dosen't stick to the plastic, flip pops open.
Back to staples , I do put my better stuff in capsuls.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05