Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Main Coin Forum

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Cub Scouts Pack Meeting

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
SJUHawks
Valued Member
United States
383 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  11:52 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add SJUHawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

So I am the Cubmaster for my boys' cub scouts pack. In April I'm giving a presentation on the history of US coins, as part of our pack meeting.

I've got some buffs, V nickels and wheats to give out to the boys. I'm also going to get a box of cents and some Whitman folders, and have them each take a roll and fill up the folders to take home.

This is all in the hopes of getting some YNs into our hobby.

Any thoughts or ideas that you might have, as to things I should talk about, or other ideas for giveaways, please let me know.

Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
10886 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  12:01 pm  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would suggest showing them the denominations that they have more than likely never seen- 1/2 cent, 2 cent, 3CS, 3CN, and 20 cent.
ANA R-3151318
Valued Member
United States
383 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  12:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SJUHawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome. All of the types that I don't have!
Valued Member
United States
488 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  12:23 pm  Show Profile Check BLUESZONE's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BLUESZONE to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Steve, you should ask for donations of old Whitmans to give to your scouts. I have a few I could give you. Maybe a few more members have some collecting dust.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
713 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  12:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add OneBowl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How many in your Pack? I bet you'd have enough generous people here donate to come up with a little package of an IHC, Wheat cent, and Buffalo for each and perhaps enough for each to come away with a silver dime, war nickel, quarter and maybe even a half from a drawing.

Kids in general love big, so make sure to take a couple of silver dollars. They also love war related stories, so a silver nickel/steel cent discussion would be a hit as well. I'm sure I'll think of more later. My son took his 20th century type set to a meeting and it was a big hit (even though he lost the Barber Half which we now need to replace). Great idea.
Valued Member
United States
383 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  1:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SJUHawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Guys, these are all great ideas. I have 15 scouts in my whole pack. We are very small. Please let me know if anyone has some items they would like to donate to my pack. Whitman cents folders would be ideal.

Thanks guys!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1146 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  1:02 pm  Show Profile Check mdpmedia's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SJU,

Whether this is pertinent or not to your thread, I personally have been an Eagle Scout of the BSA (Boy Scouts of America) since 1973,

http://www.troop315.org/index.php?m...sition=59:59 ,

and also have been periodically involved as a BSA district commissioner tasked with always trying to increase troop and pack membership.

When I was very young collecting coins as a youngster this practice had nowhere near the prestige or allure that this hobby now has as an adult.

The key to motivating youngsters to practice this hobby could be, for example, successfully linking the practice of IDing and correctly marking their coins to a 'FUN' contest with an attainable (without getting frustrated) and enjoyable end result/goal.

An example of a coin-related contest might be the awarding of two free movie passes(including two sodas and two popcorn bags) to the scout who correctly identifies and appropriately marks on Mylar holders the most Lincoln cents having an S mint mark over a four (4) week period etc....

One has to completely segregate the reasons for motivating an adult from that of a child or teen; distinctive differences obviously exist at every at every age level.

But one constant, however, always remains the same throughout one's lifetime: stimulating and maintaining motivation is created by associating fun with any task.

From a parallel perspective that is why some of the most successful entrepreneurs developed their truly loved hobbies into extremely thriving businesses; the task they undertook was never considered work or drudgery.

mdpmedia
Valued Member
United States
383 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  1:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SJUHawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mark,

That's great, and thanks for the ideas.

Please keep the ideas coming, guys. These are great.
United States
20319 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  1:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Awesome. All of the types that I don't have!
Bring your Red Book. If they cannot see the coin in hand, at least you can show them that what they look like.

Quote:
I've got some buffs, V nickels and wheats to give out to the boys. I'm also going to get a box of cents and some Whitman folders, and have them each take a roll and fill up the folders to take home.
Good ideas.

You might want to bring some magazines and let those who show interest take them home.

Of course, mentioning CCF is a good idea as well (with parental supervision, of course).
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn about my new avatar and my old one.

>>> Chicago Blackhawks - 2013 Stanley Cup Champions <<<

Did you know that our members sell on eBay and that there is a better way to search it?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  1:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even some modern era coins that you don't see in circulation that you could get at a local bank for face value, would be interesting to show them. Like Ike $s, SBA $s, and Kennedy Half $s.

Putting together a short and simple 21st century type set would look nice too. See how the cent, nickel, and other coins have changed over the past 50 years.

A virtual tour (slide show) of the US Mint:
http://www.usmint.gov/mint_tours/?action=VTShell
I've been collecting, since 1975.
Edited by wquinn
02/17/2012 1:43 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1146 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  2:02 pm  Show Profile Check mdpmedia's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

This is probably one of the better suggestions since I'm positive that our VERY computer literate on-line youth nowadays would always find at least a couple of coin related topics that interest them on CCF because of the multitude of ‘appropriately filtered' topics to choose from.

Also the topic subscription service serves as a constant reminder for those kids interested enough to enable this fantastic feature.

What better way is there today using technology to develop and promote a clean and safe habit like coin collecting that will only increase one's net worth even as a youth if appropriately managed utilizing CCF's resources?

mdpmedia

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2615 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  2:50 pm  Show Profile Check SeatedNut's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SeatedNut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If they are like most boys that age it will be difficult to "hook em" without an overview of some ultra-rareties. My dad collected when I was young and I didn't pay much attention to it until I saw B. Max Mehl's advertisement on the back of a comic book I'd bought ... $1 million dollar reward for an 1804 dollar. It detailed a story of a lost shipment from the mint that was waiting to be found. All of it was hype as Max knew it was never released into circulation. But it piqued a lot of interest in the youth of the day. I was set on finding one of these lost treasures.

More modern treasures have surfaced through a multitude of circumstances, i.e., the 1927-D St Gaudens, the 16-D merc, the 1955, 1969 and 1972 double-die cents. If they understand that there is a possible treasure in every mint release, I bet they would be on autopilot.

Good luck with the event and send me a pm with you mailing address.
So many coins, so little time ...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
713 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  3:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add OneBowl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some info for those that may not know...a Cub Scout Pack consists of Dens (Tiger, Wolf, etc.). Tiger is for first graders, so he will have kids ranging from age 5-10 or so and must capture the attention of all simultaneously. Not easy. Honestly, other than a few pictures, I don't see a thing on this site that will hold the attention of very many 6 year olds very long, especially with Mario as competition, so keep that in mind.

As Seated touches upon though, kids can be mesmerized by gold, silver, millions of dollars. So if you have wi-fi and a laptop at the meeting, you could show pictures and prices of high value items. You can mention how that 1795 dollar could have been used by George Washington. Or bring up some pics of the SS Central America double eagles. I'd wager quite a bit that if you mention sunken treasure, the boys will be interested. Also, since it's a history lesson, employ the gold and silver angle again to cover why we had the US Mints we did. Pull up pics of the obverses of the unusual denominations and have them guess what they are. Not many will believe there was such a thing as a half cent. If you don't have wi-fi, you could always prepare something in advance. And lastly, from experience, if they are not actively involved in doing something, max out at about 15 minutes.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2230 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  3:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a thought -- and I have no experience teaching or working with kids -- but my sister's kids had NO INTEREST in coins until I told them about a quarter I saw in the Strike It Rich book. It was rotated and worth a lot. My nephew started looking at his change then!

They had never noticed wheaties before and were certain that they would never find them, but I sat with them and looked through the family change jar and found two. So the kids know that there are some keepers out there and they know to look for a great big error.

I think if the kids might have fun searcing for an error -- although it isn't likely they will find one. Still there are the close and wide AM's....
Pillar Of The Community
United States
12270 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  6:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You should also attempt to contact organaizatons like Whitman Publishing for any free handouts. Same with coin magazines such as Numismedia or Coin World. At some of the coin shows I go to there are tables full of free issues of those magazines and I once asked where they came from. The answer was they simply contacted the publishers and requested anything free for the show and poof, they now get a pile of copies all the time. If nothing else, when contacting whitman, request seveal copies of their catalog. It is amazing how many products for coins they make.
Might be worth a try to go to Google and type in Coin collecting products and you could get a list of manufacturers and distributors. Again, contact them for anything free for the kids. The Whitman Catalog is almost 90 pages and is full of many, many items for coins.
For sure also check out the PCGS and NGC web sites for anything free for the kids too.
And don't forget to discuss TPGS's with the kids.
just carl
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1503 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  7:16 pm  Show Profile Check KenKat's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think kids will be interested in really old coins or really big coins or especially really old big coins.

I would try to get a hold of a Morgan dollar and let them pass it around. I'm still impressed by the sheer weight of these old silver dollars. Tell them it could buy a lot back in its day - maybe have some things on hand you could buy for a dollar back in 18xx.

If you can, get a hold of an old large cent - can be low grade but the date should show. Tell them it is nearly 200 years old and is what a penny looked like back them. Tell them what was going on in the country when that coin was new - how many states, how many people lived in the US, etc.
My 7070 US Type Set
My 7100 Lincoln Cent Set (pics a little out of date - ok, really out of date...)
Edited by KenKat
02/17/2012 7:17 pm
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.08 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05