Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question concerning 1872 canada 50 cent peice

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
232 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  2:34 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add spring423 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi Folks
Came across this coin and just checking to see if it is a legit coin. Also what it would possibly grade as.Sorry about the pics best I could manage. Thanks for any info.

Edited by spring423
02/17/2012 3:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6044 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  6:17 pm  Show Profile Check SHAFTA9a's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks O.K. to me, also, looks EF, nicee coin.
True North
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4887 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  6:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Appears to be genuine
Appears to be VF30
Pillar of the Community
Canada
668 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2012  12:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wireman09 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super nice half. First impression I graded it VF35, Dosen't quite make EF because of the wear on the leafs and bow on the reverse.
Previously Ousted
Canada
398 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  12:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coingirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello,
without saying much, I copied your coin and here is a comparism with one that is certified, although not as good as yours.
there are distinct differences...
you be the judge. If I were you, I would have the coin certified.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4887 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  02:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see anything to indicate a Chinese copy,what is it you see coingirl?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
668 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  06:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wireman09 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coingirl what grade is the certified bottom coin as you didn't say. Looks to be F15 the bottom coin.
Valued Member
United States
232 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  06:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spring423 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the opinions, The coin was given to me by a very nice neighbor. Her late husband collected coins, She gave most away years ago and has found a few here and there. She knows I metal detect without much luck maybe she feels sorry for me. Anyway I would like to compensate her for the coin, Any opinions on what a fair price would be, Not to familiar with these type of coins, Thanks for any info.
Previously Ousted
Canada
398 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  9:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coingirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
graded ICCS F12
Previously Ousted
Canada
398 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  9:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coingirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DBM, I never said or eluded to it being a chinese copy.
all I suggested that there are differences....
remember, there were also differnt dies
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
3352 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2012  9:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stevex6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the first/top coin is an 1872 Large-2 .... and the second/bottom coin is an 1872 Small-2

... ummm, or vice versa? ... man, I'm absolutely horrible at that part of our hobby!
Edited by stevex6
02/22/2012 9:56 pm
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  09:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kensho52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like the top of the 8 is wider on the top coin than the bottom. The seven looks different as well.
Edited by kensho52
02/23/2012 09:16 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1327 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  1:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jeffrose to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
remember, there were also different dies

Yes. That would account for differences like the E in CENTS on the certified coin is tilted slightly left and is farther from the C. But, wouldn't all the dies be made with the same master hub. If so, there should be no differences in the bust. It appears that the eye is set farther back from the bridge of the nose on the certified example. Thoughts
OPEN 24 HRS (but not in a row)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
3352 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  4:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stevex6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1872H quarter actually had two different Victoria portraits (Q1 & Q2) ... the Q1 being the more valuable of the two coins (but again, I have a very difficult time trying to distinguish between the varieties)

Oops => Oh sorry => this is the 1872H "50 cent piece" ... hmmm, you're correct => it only has one Victoria portrait mentioned in the Charlton catalogue? (5 different varieties of the coin, but only one portrait => H2) ... that is odd?

Ummm, maybe the fact that one coin is more worn than the other is clouding our judgement?
Edited by stevex6
02/23/2012 5:03 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05