Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Precious Metals and Bullion - Gold, Silver, Copper, Platinum

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Pics of some new gold an a cool work story....

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Silverhawk74
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3670 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  7:33 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Silverhawk74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

That is right, I am back in some gold, via milligrams as best, lol....

So this lady came in today with some graded eagles, like 7, all ms-69, one 70 and a cameo. Also a four oz. very collectible Nolan Ryan bar with cool toning around the edges, a tribute to his 7 no hitters. A brilliant VF 1917 standing Barber quarter. two busted cap gals, nice 1834 and 1808. Two stinkin penny's graded, to me a few bucks at best, and the comp told me to offer significant amount more and I was like what the heck. A freakin 1931S graded high, wow about a 3 to 4 hundred dollar penny turns out I learn later, when the boss an district manger got back from shopping form new stuff for the store. A little over $17.10 in face value 90% (half liberty, Kennedy, Franks, mercs, mostly). Oh wow and a nice 20th anniversary eagle proof set, are you freakin kiddin me I knew it was a nice pick up but our grey sheet said they are listing around 400 now, and I got it for a good deal....

I have already bought that eagle proof set (burnished, reverse proof, and proof I think it is) as soon as the 30 days are up, as the boss was gonna sell it to another store south, but I said I will give you a bit more for the set. I am gonna get it if silver does not change much from now till then, and the cheapest I found later on eBay was around 425 cheapest I could find BIN....

I honestly did not know what I had in front of me. The stinkin quarter I bought as 90%, the book says it is worth about 150 to 200 perhaps. Nice turn on the two busts as well. They didn't look that nice to my picky eye, but the bosses said they were extremely nice for being over 200 years old via the 1808, and no far behind on the 1834, and looked like junk 90% to my untrained eye. I am a bullion guy mostly myself, and pay little attention to old 90% stuff, until this new job....

District manger said I brought in a decent amount more, then what the books were reading, via those diamond in the ruff pick ups. He already had a buyer for the Nolan 4 oz rare bar for his collection and I again figured it was just barley over spot junk....

She had so much stuff I couldn't check with my more experienced worker who was doing another deal, and we got real busy as I just ripped apart a golden pen set from the early forty's nearly killed me as I know it had collector value as well as gold....

I was way distracted as well as my finger tips were bubbling today with nitric acid. I kid you not I look like I have been smokin filter-less pal mas for 50 years, and I don't even smoke. Carrot sticks, I kid you not are my finger tips, rof. It was actually painful today, as I got too much on my finger tips, cleaning the rock with a tissue. Basically, after a while the tissue absorbs through with acid, and it gets on ones fingers if not extra careful.

Edited by Silverhawk74
02/17/2012 8:48 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
620 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  7:46 pm  Show Profile Check bekiz's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bekiz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would work for the store just for having an option of discovering something new :)

nice story, keep them going!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3670 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  7:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Silverhawk74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good call Bekiz, as I learned a lot about numismatic value today, beyond metal content....

And I am not gonna be happy until I can spot those items an know what they are an value immediately without checking the world currency guide, and I also bought my first fake gold in that deal. It was watch links, and it tested good, as the boss said it was stainless an would test good through 22K acid, and it did indeed. It was a minimal amount, and thanks to the other good finds, the deal was way good for us an the store and the bosses just laughed about the links an chalked it up as a good learning experience. As eventually if you do this long enough and get in too much a hurry as did I, you are gonna buy something fake, a simple magnet test would have saved mo on that one. Again, it was way minimal penny weight and I subtracted much for the stainless links mixed in. The gold ones were stainless as well....

She walked with much money (closer to 2 large then 1) she need asap family situation so all party's were happy in the end....
Edited by Silverhawk74
02/17/2012 9:01 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
620 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  8:12 pm  Show Profile Check bekiz's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bekiz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Two days ago I've visited pawnshop. Usually they sell some pretty good silver coins for slightly above spot price that worth more because of numismatic value. So, while looking for something to add to my silver came across some Peace and Morgans ... priced about $40 each, which is high. I know that with mintmark of "CC" are expensive, and would grab them for sure but the rest ... Well, I wrote down the dates and mintmarks on paper, went back home and looked the Red Book. Here comes 1928 Peace w/o mintmark. By the time I went back to the store all the coins worthy anything were gone )). If I knew what worth what I'd grab them along with libertad 1 oz I got at spot
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1998 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  8:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So...let me get this straight. You bought some coins with some significant numismatic value at silver price?

Same with the 31 S cent - paid hardly anything for it? " A freakin 1931S graded high, wow about a 3 to 4 hundred dollar penny turns out I learn later"

The 4 oz Nolan Ryan bar that is worth more than melt value?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3670 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  8:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Silverhawk74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We have 1928 Peace dollar in our case that is not that nice, priced around 350 seems like. Your key years on Peace dollars are 1928 and 1921, tough break Bekiz that would have been a once in a lifetime score....

At least you are educated to know now, and can get the next good find if you look enough. I google key dates at work when I am bored and study them in a attempt to memorize. A great example of knowledge being power....
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3670 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  8:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Silverhawk74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is correct Aloco, but I did buy the penny's for significantly more then face value as she got a good deal on those and a high percentage of overall items value. Again, stuff like this may set in a case for a couple of years like that 1928 Peace dollar I have been checking out well before I ever worked there. Unless there is buyer lined up from the knowledge of other regulars and what they buy and like, numismatic stuff just ties up money for long periods of time....

Edited by Silverhawk74
02/17/2012 8:28 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Japan
620 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  8:21 pm  Show Profile Check bekiz's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bekiz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know about 1921 Peace, but 1928 ...
The thing I always want to spot there is commemorative half dollars ... the only thing I look for in there lol
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3670 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2012  8:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Silverhawk74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Key dates coin slip through the cracks from time to time....
Edited by Silverhawk74
02/18/2012 8:33 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1998 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2012  10:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Silverhawk - your story makes it sound like you bought the whole lot for very, very little.

I guess...I am perplexed. How do you make an offer on items the value is not known?

Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2012  11:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
" A freakin 1931S graded high, wow about a 3 to 4 hundred dollar penny turns out I learn later"

It would have to be ms64 or higher.
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2012  11:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Key dates coin slip through the cracks from time to time

An area dealer used to pay three cents per for foreign. When he finally hired someone to look through them, they found a set of Russian platinum coins from the 1800s.
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2012  11:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hawk-

Those orange fingers will slough off in a week or two.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3670 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2012  1:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Silverhawk74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Aloco I can't really get in too specifics about our buy program or numbers, but it is all divided into different categories. The three pieces that she did not get the best offer on, was the 1917 quarter and the two cap an bust halves, since I had them listed in wrong category. If I had put those pieces in the proper section of our program, it would have allowed me to offer her more. Chalk that up to my greenhorn self, and no one to help me when the deal was going down...

Again, she had a family situation and she walked with what she said was a 125 more then what she thought she was gonna get, so all party's were happy in the end. Did she get full 100% value for her stuff, no as we would have no way to make money otherwise. But I can sleep real good at night, honestly knowing there is not another place in town that would have even offered here close to what we did for it all, and that is why she is a REGULAR, and we offer her a higher percentage then most for that fact, as I did on that deal as well on all of her other items....

We buy gold an Pawn shops I can honestly say, will offer her way less (like starting at 25% of total item value), so again best option in town, short of her starting her own business an trying to get beyond spot for it all....

I just bought an amazing Sterling silverware set Gotham seems like is the company. Not antique, but real nice an solid. He walked with some good cash, and said he was real happy, as our offer was 100 BUCKS MORE then any other offer he received....
Edited by Silverhawk74
02/18/2012 1:16 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4008 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2012  7:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ed_B to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was way distracted as well as my finger tips were bubbling today with nitric acid. I kid you not I look like I have been smokin filter-less pal mas for 50 years, and I don't even smoke. Carrot sticks, I kid you not are my finger tips

You have to protect yourself, Hawk. You can get a box of nitrile or latex gloves for cheap. Wear them when working with acids. Your fingers will thank you for it. Remember, you could be doing this for a LONG time, so not allowing acids to consume your flesh is a GOOD idea!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3670 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2012  7:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Silverhawk74 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That may be a good idea Ed, as if I don't come up with a better plan soon I may not have any prints left. And since I may be named Kevin, but not the Kevin Spacey from his character in Seven, so no need to burn off the prints, lol....

Are you kiddin me, carrot sticks.....

You may notice that little splice like split on the second picture thumb, it is like it got in there, or for all I know split it, but I think I barely cut myself grasping a small piece of jewelry before scratching it on the stone....
Edited by Silverhawk74
02/18/2012 7:34 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.08 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05