Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 Canadian Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 Canadian Commemoratives and Non-Circulating Coinage (NCLT)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Suggestion for the RCM about Dragons

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Lithanial
Valued Member
Canada
444 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2012  10:50 pm Show Profile Check Lithanial's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Lithanial to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

For whatever reason, I like dragon coins. I have no association with Chinese culture, but I still like dragon coins regardless.

However, I am getting a little bit bored with the same dragon species on every coin. I understand that the theme with all of the dragon coins so far have been about the Chinese Lunar series, but it would be nice to see the Mint expand their dragons beyond Chinese culture. Perhaps, think outside the box here.

It is some worldwide phenomenon that many cultures have developed their own dragon legends. The Chinese Lung being one of them.

I think it would be neat if the Mint designed several different species of the Dragon to represent all the cultures out there that have dragon legends. I think it would only be fair.

Waiting for Ziz
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
892 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2012  11:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add elkslayer132 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
there is a new series out by the Perth Mint called dragons of legends it will be a 5 coin set and started this month the first coin sold out very fast.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1496 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  01:45 am  Show Profile Check poboxw's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add poboxw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Western dragons on coins would be a neat idea, but i'd feel it'd be out of place and gimmicky issued alongside the Chinese dragons. The Chinese dragons makes sense this year because it is the Lunar Year of the Dragon. And, Chinese dragons share the same name as Dragons of the Western culture only because English translators decided that the reptilian look shared between the two was enough to justify not coming up with another name for the Asian mythical creature. The Chinese dragon was used as a symbol of weather, of gods, of kings and emperors, and of the Chinese people itself. Whereas Wester dragons are more dinosaur like abd often associated with violence, hording of treasure, and weakness for pretty and helpless woman :p
Valued Member
Canada
360 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  09:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chubbycheeks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes the Perth Mints new dragon series is exactly what your looking for. I've ordered the first coin and It looks great. Each coin has a story to tell.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
2886 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  10:35 am  Show Profile Check Libertad's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add Libertad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Get a Sovereign.
http://gtacoins.ecrater.com
Want to Buy or Trade: Nuevos Pesos Méxicanos UNC!: P95, P96, P97, P98, P99, P105a and P105b. :)
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
639 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  11:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrpiedfort to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 2012 Sovereign (St. George and the Dragon) has a new design especially commissioned to celebrate The Queen's Diamond Jubilee.

Here is the 2011 Sovereign.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
639 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  11:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrpiedfort to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Perth Mint's Dragons of Legend Series consists of 5 coins:
- Red Welsh Dragon
- Chinese Dragon
- St. George Dragon
- Bulgarian Three-Headed Dragon
- European Green Dragon
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2012  12:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Polo4121 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I purchased the red welsh dragon in pf70 from ngc do you think they will hold value. It scares me buying 1 oz of silver at such a premeim when you can get ASE for a little over spot
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
892 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2012  12:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add elkslayer132 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The dragon will be worth more than an ASE anytime in my opinion.
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2012  01:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Polo4121 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did you buy straight from the Perth? Do you know the date the next one in the series will be out?
Valued Member
Canada
442 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2012  12:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vinnycoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welsh dragon already sold out!
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2012  10:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Polo4121 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know I have one I got graded as pf70. What go you think about value going up on this set like the spider from 2008
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1534 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2012  11:45 pm  Show Profile Check kuh_85's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add kuh_85 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd have to agree with the original post. I would prefer to get canadian coins on the dragon theme or maybe even an expanded Mythical Creatures set. Although I also have to agree with everyone else, the Australian set is gorgeous! :-)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1377 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  8:27 pm  Show Profile Check traevin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add traevin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I know I have one I got graded as pf70. What go you think about value going up on this set like the spider from 2008

I assume you're talking about the Tuvalu 2006 Red-Black Spider. Only a handful of modern coins will ever have that kind of cachet. Although the mintage is similar and both are series firsts, it's just not likely that the Welsh Dragon will get to even half the value of the 2006 Spider. But there is no way to know if your coin will rise or fall in value either in the short or long term. It does help that the coin sold out in only a few days, which means it's at least highly sought after right now. Dragons are hot at the moment. It's possible that it might take another 12 years before we see another bull run on dragons.
If you haven't noticed by now, I don't proofread veery well and I apollogize profusely. (;>D
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2012  11:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Polo4121 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are right only time will tell. So here's hoping......
Valued Member
Canada
178 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2012  11:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ztt2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with traevin I haven't bought that many dragon coins yet because I don't know if I would be able to buy them cheaper once the year is out and the craze kind of fades. That said, I love the Welsh dragon and definitely think that it will hold or even go up in value. I definitely want one myself.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.17 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05