Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

JPEG vs BMP?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11186 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  11:44 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Is there a difference? Is one better then the other when taking photos of coins and then putting them on photobucket to post them here? Thanks for the help,
John1

( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Pillar of the Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  11:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For photos you usually want JPEG. There may be specific circumstances where you want a losslessly compressed format like PNG, but you never ever ever ever ever want BMP.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4252 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  12:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheNickelGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I liked this explanation.

BMP files are generally huge so there might be a problem there rather than using a JPG file. There can be some loss when converting to downsize the file but generally, our human eyes don't pick up much of a difference. ( especially mine anymore )
Valued Member
India
78 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  12:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add drkrish21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
JPEG for photos...
Valued Member
United States
290 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  12:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Piffin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I you are a pro photographer or graphics artist with infinite resources, the BMP file format can have some advantages, but for sharing and practical purposes, you definitely want JPEG
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2012  09:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks TheNickelGuy for that website. It explained it best!
Valued Member
Australia
262 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  10:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nicwinner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hi, I prefer JPEG :)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5194 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  05:07 am  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use BMP or raw actually files that come out of my camera, but they are resized and cropped with other adjustments before they are saved in a jpg file for uploading to a web, I also sometimes use png files as they are actually better in color handling, but for general web use and if others I don't know will be viewing the photos then they are ALWAYS jpg files.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05