Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ultrasonic cleaning. Any good?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United Kingdom
203 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  2:57 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Anaximander to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I can get an ultrasonic jewellery cleaner for about £35. Is it any good for cleaning coins? If so, is there anything I should be careful of?

thanks in advance.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4629 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  3:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't waste your money
Been there,done that
Edited by DBM
02/19/2012 3:26 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10973 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  3:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Type ultrasonic in the search box upper left of page and you will find loads of onfo.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Valued Member
United States
313 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  3:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Fatboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
1099 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  3:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mitchhailey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't clean coins with anything.
Valued Member
India
78 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  4:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add drkrish21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dont waste money...coins should not be cleaned in my opinion...but take care and dont allow it to become more dirty ..thats all
Learn More...
Australia
11177 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  5:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ultrasonic (or "sonic") cleaners are good for cleaning metal detecting finds - removing caked-on clumps of physical dirt and corrosion, where causing damage to the coin's surface is not a primary worry.

For coins pulled from circulation or sitting in collections, sonic cleaning is not optimal, for two reasons.

1. Sonic cleaners only work with a detergent. Using plain distilled water in a sonicator is no different to using plain distilled water in an ordinary bucket. The detergents usually sold for sonic cleaning are proprietary mixtures; who knows what's in them, and what they'll do to a coin's surface over time.

2. In theory, sonication would work excellently for coin cleaning if you could find a way to magically suspend the coin in the solution without the coin touching anything. But anything touching the coin - another coin, the sides or base of the sonicator, your fingers, even a string tied around the coin - will rapidly rub back and forth in the sonic bath, causing friction. Friction of any kind is something you want to try to avoid in any "proper" coin cleaning operation.

Leave the ultrasonic cleaners for the detector finds, the jewellery and the lab glassware.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12769 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  6:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you do buy one, fill it with a combination of Hydrocloric and Nitric Acids. This will melt that little basket in there so you will not be able to put any coins in there.
Or save your money by not buying one and using that to buy coins that don't need cleaning.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  9:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know you are a new member so I am going top give you a straight answer that everyone else (except Sap) seems to want to joke around about. With coins you never want to clean them with anything, you want to leave them original just as you would a piece of antique furniture. I know allot of new collectors think the shinier the better when it comes to coins but that is definitely not the case. You never want to even touch a coin on the face if you can help it. So please do not clean a coin with anything, not even dish soap or anything because it will do nothing but make the coin worth less money every time without exception. There is the metal detecting finds like Sap mentioned above where sometimes you have to rinse them off or something so you can even see what they are, this is fine but you want to avoid it if you possibly can
Valued Member
United Kingdom
203 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2012  10:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anaximander to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for that. I am a new collector, only haven gotten serious in the last two weeks. Luckily, for the last half-century I have been squirrelling away interesting coins and so have about 500 items to start me off...
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2012  01:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
, Anaximander!

Bryan -

did you mean just carl?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12769 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2012  08:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One thing so far not mentioned is regardless of if you attempt to clean or not, find a way to seal that coin from further problems. By that I mean place in a 2x2 of some sorts. Not sure if your familiar with 2x2 types of flips but they come in cardboard and plastic types. With the simple cardboard ones you can just close up that coin and it will be a lot safer from further problems.
Naturally it is never a good idea to clean coins and if you do not know how, then for sure don't attempt to clean one. The main thing is to find a way to stop any further growth of the contaminates.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
1119 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  7:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erkle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and the price is way to much, I seen one for $11 and $5 shipping from england to australia the other day.
im a newb myself, but I have read on here that de mineralized water is the best thing to soak the coins with to remove everyday grime, soak for about a week, rinse with clean de mineralized water and pat dry, I use a glass cleaning cloth to dry them, then I put them in acetone for a day before placing into 2x2's, the acetone removes body oils from the coin which will leave a black finger print over time if left.
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2012  01:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Household ultrasonics are basically toys. Big commercial units (think stainless steel sink with multiple vibrators) will clean your hands spotless in seconds, but I dunno I'd want them near a coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4842 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2012  11:11 am  Show Profile Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A rock tumbler maybe.....: )~
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.02 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05