Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Trying to educate myself...Was this coin cleaned? Poll

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2580 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2012  2:48 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Jayman931 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
I am trying to learn how to identify cleaned coins so when I do start buying more expensive coins I don't get dupped. I think this coin was cleaned... Do you?

Poll Choices
Yes, It was Cleaned
No, It was not Cleaned
I don't know

Anonymous Vote
Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains taken to bring it to light.~ GEORGE WASHINGTON

Don't take it personal I am just straight forward.

Valued Member
United States
286 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2012  3:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bbradford71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It appears to have been polished but I could be wrong

Pillar of the Community
United States
2843 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2012  4:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Such a nice looking coin.
But the color is "off."
The areas between the letters, which maintain a nice original color, should be compared to the larger areas of the fields.
What a shame.
My vote is "cleaned," and I have no idea how it was done.
I have never met a Barber Coin which I didn't like. Visit us at the Barber Coin Collectors' Society
http://www.barbercoins.org/
Pillar of the Community
United States
1638 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2012  4:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add unholyroller to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a "pencil eraser" job to me
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2147 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2012  4:47 pm  Show Profile Check nlp coins's eBay Listings Check nlp coins's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add nlp coins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Field and tops of devices too bright. I would say someone hit it with an old t-shirt or cotton ball. Color is good though. nlp
Save the best, sell the rest
http://nlpcoins.ecrater.com/
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11381 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2012  5:39 pm  Show Profile Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1909 VDB's have always been very collectible. Many of them have been cleaned by the ignorant. This coin has been cleaned at some point.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
VERDI-CAREā„¢ All Metal Conservation Fluid
http://www.verdichem.com
Valued Member
United States
241 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2012  5:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PlumCrazy814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cleaned or not - I'd still like to have it in my collection.
Valued Member
United States
286 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2012  5:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bbradford71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
+1, I agree, I think that coin would look very nice in my Dansco
Valued Member
United States
303 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2012  7:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hermanwilliams to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, cleaned or not, nice for what it is....but definitely cleaned.
Pillar of the Community
United States
611 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2012  7:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add drdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Color isn't right. Too much wear for that much shine. Cleaned. I've seen worse cleaning jobs, though.
Pillar of the Community
United States
567 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2012  11:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amassey08873 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm thinking along the lines of Unhollyroller, eraser job? But nice coin, I've got 2 days left to see if I can pull this one off eBay.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  12:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To me, it looks like a circulated coin that somebody tried to buff up on their pant leg.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  09:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like it had some type of crude cleaning by some type of buffing or rubbing.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.91 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05