Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question: Danny Kaye Collection, 1958 Israel 5 LIR coin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2012  6:51 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Mike Bloh to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hello,

I am seeking information on a 1958 Israel 5 Lirot silver coin (MS66) that my elderly mother purchased in 2005.
I can find little information on this specific piece.
According to the documentation, the coin is from the estate of Danny Kaye.
Reportedly only 1000 coins were struck and only 363 have been certified graded and encapsulated by the PCGS.
The coins were reportedly given to Danny Kaye by the Israel government as a reward for his work with Unicef.
Reportedly, the coin is not a proof but reportedly struck on Proof dies with a higher quality than normal uncirculated coins.
According to the documentation these coins were classed as MS65 to MS67 condition.
The coin appears shinny but not perfect, denomination and Hebrew and Arabic writing on the front.
A modern art menorah is embossed on the back. Both sides of the coin are concave.

From what I can tell, typical specimens of this coin appear to be valued between $30 to $50 US primarily based on its silver content.

I have found one retail source $425.00US value (villagecoin.com)
The coin is housed in a sealed, intact, clear PCGS plastic container with the following information printed on the label:
PCGS
1958 MNRA 5 LIR
MS66
Israel 4272539
From Danny Kaye Estate
Specimen Coin #364/363

My index of suspicion is high regarding the Specimen Coin number, #364/363. If only 363 specimines exist, how does this one merit the designation of #364/363. So do I have something of value or a red-hering?

I would really appreciate it if anyone could direct me to a source who may know something of this reportedly "rare" coin and assist me in appraising its value.

Thanks in advance,

Mike Bloh
*** Email Removed by Staff ***

Pillar of the Community
United States
2605 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2012  7:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add svslav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello, Mike, and welcome to the forum!

The only 1958 5 lirot coin that I'm aware of is KM# 21, but as you can see from the figures there the mintage reported is quite different from your numbers. The (current) prices are more modest as well. Of course if there's documentation that the coin is from the estate of Danny Kaye it may bring a premium from people interested in this kind of deal.

Is the label info you provided from your coin, or another coin that you found on "villagecoin"? If it's the latter I'd be worried that mr. Kaye had a bunch of 5 lirot - might be a scam.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2012  2:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mike Bloh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello and thanks for your response,

The information listed is for my coin. Sorry for the confusion.

My coin is housed in a sealed, intact, clear PCGS plastic container with the following information printed on the label:
PCGS
1958 MNRA 5 LIR
MS66
Israel 4272539
From Danny Kaye Estate
Specimen Coin #364/363

The concern is the Specimen Coin number #364/363 as above.
How do you get #364 from a run of 363 coins?

I have seen a few examples of these coins on different auction sites. In those cases all Specimen Coin numbers were less than 363. (e.g. 217/363) I have also found a couple of reports that support the statements that Kaye was indeed a collector interested in Israel coins. From the other examples I've uncovered, apparently he did have 363 of these 1958 5L coins given to him by the Israel government. However mine is labeled 364/363.

So is this just a good-old, normal, Israel 5L coin? Or, is it really a Kaye estate collectable?

Additional information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2012  8:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mike Bloh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have found some confusing posts from 1996 and 1998 that suggest that Danny Kaye acquired 20 more coins in addition to the original 363. However I have not been able to verify this with the long gone author or with PCGS. This would bring the total to 383 coins accounting for the 20 extra 5 Lirot coins. This appears to hold some water because the original 363 came with wooden presentation boxes. The additional 20 coins would not have this appointment. As it turns out there is no wooden presentation box with my coin #364. A few of the original 363 coins have surfaced for auction on the Internet from various sources. All of those coins are described with the presentation box. If anyone can verify the acquisition of the additional 20 coins, I would appreciate posting the history here. Thanks in advance. Mike
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2012  10:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mike Bloh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While cleaning out my mother's apartment, I located the wooden box and other material related to the coin. So the package is now complete.
Still waiting for some authoritative documentation on the extra 20 coins.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05