Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Modern Coin Grading

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

loupe for coin grading

Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1524 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add unholyroller to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Right on NGCs web page it states "all MS and PF 70 coins have no post-production imperfections at 5x magnification" so it would seem to me that at least the highest grades are graded with magnification. Hard to refute if they themselves state it on their website
Valued Member
474 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  11:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FlipOfACoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Generally, I get an overall look at the coin with my eyes and then maybe a 4x for a closer look. I got tired of messing with loupes, so I bought a USB microscope to get really clear, close images of mint marks, damage, errors, etc... I consider looking very closely at coins to be relaxing and a form of entertainment.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
659 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  02:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Peter4805 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I usually use a 5X or a 7X depending on the size of the coin. My eye aren't very good though.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4866 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  06:00 am  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Anybody know what type of light and bulb the graders use to view the coins under?

Halogen lamps, I forget the brand, I have one that broke and is in a storage unit, never did get it repaired, back when I got it I worked at a coin shop and wholesale it was around $90.00 not exactly cheap I think the retail was $179.00 though with advances in lamp and bulb manufacturing technologies I'm sure they are a lot cheaper today. Many also use a good incandecent bulb from 70-150 watts as well.

Mark Feld (super guy) co-taught a grading class I attended at an ANA Seminar Seminar, they absolutely do NOT use magnification when grading, only to verify parts of the coin, RPD, RPM, DDO, DDR, etc. they do use a loupe on the surface or suspicious areas looking for putty filled ticks or other things that catch the eye. Most use a 5-7x power triplet. In fact he stressed that one should not use a loupe while grading. I have several friends that either are still grading or used to grade at the top TPG's, none use a loupe upon initial examination for grade.

Quote:
I thought that on 69-70 they used 5x.

Back when I was dealing in coins full time, this was before the modern coin grading at TPG's so as to magnification on modern proofs I can't answer that, but I would believe they are checked under magnification.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1934 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  06:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add j_h_s to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quickly, I use a 5x.

Im also a microscope guy...theyre not that expensive.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5619 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  11:38 am  Show Profile Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The comments that professional graders don't use magnification is dangerous advice for anyone to give. Many problems cannot be seen with the naked eye, even when the lighting is excellent and your vision is perfect.

You could lose your shirt NOT using magnification. Don't let that happen. If you are a professional grader with years of experience, have perfect lighting always available, excellent eye-sight, grade larger coins, and aren't concerned about problem coins? Go right ahead....
ANA #R3154474
Edited by BH1964
02/24/2012 11:39 am
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.05 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05