Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Coin Photography

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

first pictures with the new jansjo lamps (allot of pictures)

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Bryan1315
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  5:26 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I was wondering how everyone thought these looked, if you have any tips on what to do to make them better I am all ears as well

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5627 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  5:43 pm  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The lighting is better at my house! You can send them to me at any time!

You have done alot better than I have with my Jansjos. I have put them away for about two weeks, maybe they will start acting right if I pull them out of hiding this weekend.

Maybe that is (one of) my problem, not a big enough target...gotta love those Morgans!

Especially the NGC Morgan...FROSTY!
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"

"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145

"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
Edited by oih82w8
02/23/2012 5:45 pm
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Especially the NGC Morgan...FROSTY!
I guess you are talking about the 3rd one down which is a MS-65 VAM-83.
Quote:
Maybe that is (one of) my problem, not a big enough target
the next to last picture is a dime so its not very big. I am torn between the photos, on one hand I believe there has to be something I can do to make them better and on the other hand I like some of them. I am no photographer and probably will not understand what the photographers in the group are telling me I need to try either. When I first started taking pictures I was very disappointed until I remembered I had the WB set for the other lights I was using
Valued Member
United States
457 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  9:57 pm  Show Profile Check wheatiefan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add wheatiefan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What angle of attack (straight above being 90*) and direction (o'clock) are your lights at? Are they the same for every picture? How many lights?

The 1878 dollar has two bright cartwheel lines, implying two lights, whereas some of the others it is hard to tell if there is one or more than one.

Some of your pictures seem to be evenly exposed, and others have dark areas. Your Franklin half seems to be lit from the 5 o'clock position, as if he were telling a campfire ghost story with the flashlight under his chin.

My first thought is that you don't want your bright areas too bright (you're ok there) or your dark areas too dark (room to improve there).

To isolate what the lighting is or isn't doing for you I'd shoot the same coin with the same camera settings, changing only the lighting arrangement. Change the angle and direction of attack, number of lights, diffusion, etc. . .

I'm no expert so let's see what the others have to say.

United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  11:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
there is 3 lights, one at 6:00 one at 10:00 and one at 2:00 (or round about these areas anyway) and all pictures the lighting is the same, I never touched the lighting or camera, just changed coins. The camera is not exactly 90° because I use a tripod and the coins are on the desk and I can't get them at 90° because at the angle its at right now the book the coins are sitting on is half way off of the desk, any more and it would flip onto the floor. I used to stagger a few books moving a little further out as it went but I didn't take the time to do it this time
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1390 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  02:03 am  Show Profile Check rmpsrpms's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lighting between 3:00 and 9:00 is a no-no. Very unnatural looking. I suggest bringing the third light up to 12:00 and diffusing it by putting tissue paper over it.
Builder of Custom Coin Photography Setups. Email me with your needs.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4391 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  06:38 am  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Easy to get the coin parallel to the camera, by setting up your tripod higher up mine is at about 3.5 feet high, then put a box under the tripod to raise the coins height up where you need to reach focus, very hard to do on a table top with out a proper copy stand set up or very specialized (expensive) tripod. Just watch the whole thing doesn't tip on you at height, since the camera and weight will be between tripod legs to get the angle. Another good tripod to look at is the Bogen models that allow for the center column to come out and be placed sideways, very useful for coin and general macro shooting.

http://www.manfrotto.us/055xprob-pr...-black?alt=1

See how the center column can flip to horizontal? Very handy! Not saying you need this, but as an ex professional photographer for 15 years nothing works like quality parts, and manfrotto is quality, I used a lot of gear over the years and the Bogen/Manfrotto stuff while not the cheapest, but certainly not the most expensive never let me down - ever! (except that one time I had one ripped off) I had $5-25,000 dollar cameras and lenses hanging off their products and never had a failure.

As to stability you get what you pay for.

How far away from the coins are you positioning the lights? I find these images to be a bit on the dark side under-exposed, try a little longer exposure, ignore what youre meter says, I shoot at +1 on my Canon, I also shoot in raw so as to control the white balance better. The images are looking pretty good though!
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Edited by westcoin
02/24/2012 06:42 am
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  6:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
booted computer into XP and used a program I am used to using for cropping pictures

United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  2:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
so I am guessing I am still not even close?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
9873 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  4:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not a pro but your first set of pics look a little dark to me. Your next set looked a little brighter but maybe needs a bit more, I really like how the Dolley Madison coin turned out.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5627 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  4:50 pm  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
+1 on the Dolley Madison shot, really nice!
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"

"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145

"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  5:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ok, so I still need more light on the coins? I changed the lights in these last shots to around 3 and 9 and 12 (as I was told to never use a light in the 6:00 area as I had in the first shots) I have the lights close to the height of the lens so I can bring them close to the coin and probably get more light on them if thats what is needed
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1390 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  9:04 pm  Show Profile Check rmpsrpms's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bryan...lighting in last group looks much more natural.

I haven't analyzed the histograms to see if you are OK with exposure, but it is not too far off.

What I do see is a lack of sharpness and I'm not sure what is causing it. There are so many factors that can mess up the sharpness:
- focus slightly off
- vibration (camera/stand vs coin, mirror slap, etc)
- aperture stopped-down too far
- down-conversion blur

Please remind me of
- camera
- lens
- aperture setting
- using live mode?
- shutter trigger method?

Also, what is your working distance from lens to coin, and how high are the jansjos above the coin surface?

Ray
Builder of Custom Coin Photography Setups. Email me with your needs.
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  11:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a cannon T1i and a 100mm 1:2.8 lens, It is on a tripod and I am using live view shooting with the canon software. The camera settings are 1/160, F8.0, ISO 200, I use spot metering and a custom WB. I have always thought something was off with my pictures and this is what was recommended for me to use by other members because some of the settings were as they call it the sweet spot, but I am still not very happy with the pictures I am getting with this setup
United States
16099 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  12:25 am  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I cannot for the life of me understand why you're not duplicating what I accomplished with that lens. You're quite knowledgeable regarding settings, and doing it right. What size are the original images? Are you getting a Morgan to fill the screen, and shooting at the large/fine image size setting? One other possible thing to check is the setting of the Picture Style options - for this camera/lens, it should be set at "Standard.".

I found the 100mm to be a little sensitive to reflected light, since the outer glass is right at the edge of the lens, and tended to set lighting just a little above the bottom of the lens as a result.

The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, numismo - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  01:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do make the coin fit the whole screen, I have very little area around the coin showing at the top and bottom of the coin. Picture style is set to standard and the format is L+RAW and the jpeg is 9.07MB. I have no idea whats wrong with this thing but its driving me crazy
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05