Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1944 W Dime

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  6:20 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Dollardime to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I am a manager at a major retailer. One of my cashiers received this from a customer. She thought it was a Canadian coin and was going to literally throw it away. I may be a total novice but I sure recognize a Mercury dime when I see one.

Pillar of the Community
United States
6039 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  6:34 pm  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that the "W" you are referring to on the obverse are the designers initials AW for Adolph Weinman.

The mint mark would be on the reverse between the the fasces and the "E" in ONE. Yous is from Philadelphia, hence no mint mark.

Nice find!
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"

"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145

"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
Edited by oih82w8
02/23/2012 6:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4289 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  6:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VisigothKing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That W has an A under it and they are the initials of the designer, Adolph Weinman. The mintmark would be on the reverse between the E in ONE and the branch, and since there is none it means that it was minted in Philadephia.
"For as long as Belisarius lives, it is impossible for him to relinquish this city." - Roman general Belisarius, responding to a group of Gothic envoys, during the Gothic siege of Rome in 537 AD

Attributed coins in my collection so far - Roman: 238, Byzantine: 34, Post-Roman Germanic: 21
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  6:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dollardime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
See, I told you I was a total notice :) Thanks for the info!
Edited by Dollardime
02/23/2012 6:41 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  6:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
She shouldn't be throwing away old Canadian dimes either, they're silver too! I found a 1943 silver Canadian dime in circulation all the way down in Florida, so you need to watch for those too.
Edited by CaptainFwiffo
02/23/2012 6:46 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4289 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  6:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VisigothKing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We all have to start somewhere
"For as long as Belisarius lives, it is impossible for him to relinquish this city." - Roman general Belisarius, responding to a group of Gothic envoys, during the Gothic siege of Rome in 537 AD

Attributed coins in my collection so far - Roman: 238, Byzantine: 34, Post-Roman Germanic: 21
Pillar of the Community
917 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  7:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LincolnGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
She must not be the brightest crayon in the box. The words "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" on the reverse means its not Canadian...
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2610 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  10:12 pm  Show Profile Check macmercury's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add macmercury to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find! Wish those were still in changes in my area.
Pillar of the Community
United States
745 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  10:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Penny4Me to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1944 dime has silver value about $2.50,
I guess it could look like Queen Mercury?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  10:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@macmercury: Keep looking. I find one about every 5 boxes or so.
Valued Member
474 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  11:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FlipOfACoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin! Looks about VF in grade. I have never received one in my change... much less found one while roll searching. Either way, it is a good start on the road to putting together a set of Mercury dimes: A joy in itself!
Pillar of the Community
United States
745 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  12:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Penny4Me to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
good start on the road to putting together a set of Mercury dimes;
ya get that 1916 D next !
Pillar of the Community
United States
1564 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  08:13 am  Show Profile Check The_Duke's eBay Listings Check The_Duke's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add The_Duke to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find, I would grade it F12.
The_Duke
ANA# 3159445
http://dukescoins.ecrater.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
4289 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  1:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VisigothKing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
F-12

Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  6:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
, Dollardime!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
659 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  11:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Peter4805 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty coin. Worn, but no major problems like field scratches, dings or rim nicks. I'd give it a F-15 grade.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05