Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Which Pre-1964 half dollar do you prefer?

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  8:01 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Capturedyou to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
I'm just curious to know. My favorite would be the Standing Liberty! :D

Poll Choices
Standing Liberty
Barber Liberty Head
Kennedy

Anonymous Vote
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1727 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  8:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coincollect1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I dont have one or any US half dollars from that time. But the standing liberty would have to be my favourite
Pillar of the Community
United States
4317 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  8:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amida17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
D. Bust Halves
"...being a Humanist means trying to behave decently without expectation of rewards or punishment after you are dead." - Vonnegut
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
326 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  8:09 pm  Show Profile Check jleveille's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jleveille to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was always a big fan of the Franklin halfs, His history intrigued me!
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."

-Thomas Edison
Learn More...
United States
6594 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  8:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
FYI - for half dollars, its Walking Liberty. Standing Liberty are Quarters.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  8:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Capturedyou to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I totally forgot The Franlin Half Dollar! Worst part of that is I own one of them. XD
Pillar of the Community
United States
1045 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  9:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add HONDO to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Franklins!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1325 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  9:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jeffrose to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
D. Bust Halves

I'm with amida17 so I guess it's "none of the above."
OPEN 24 HRS (but not in a row)
Pillar of the Community
Australia
8885 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  10:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me, it's a 'no brainer', I have gone with the majority.
Best design of all for a machine struck silver coin. Most appreciated in MS60 or better.

They do have a problem with extensive wear however. A strong vertical wear line develops as a diameter down the body of Lady Liberty on the obverse, and as a angled wear line on the body of the eagle and left leg of the eagle on the reverse. On Walkers, the wear pattern dominates the design on a coin that has sustained considerable circulation.

Pity. A coin designer should always consider the effects of wear on his designs. I suspect that some, but not enough attention, was paid to this.
Pillar of the Community
United States
764 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2012  10:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coindog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gotta love those Barber halves.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5196 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  01:16 am  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While the walking Liberty is one of the most beautiful designs ever on a US coin along with St. Gauden's incredible work on the Double Eagle, I think my very favorite has to be the Drapped Bust Halfs.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Valued Member
United States
197 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  06:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Newmismatist to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My favorite, Miss Walking Liberty, is left out. Always a bridesmaid, never a bride.
Learn More...
United States
13811 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  09:52 am  Show Profile Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bust Halfs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
907 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  11:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mysilveryears to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Quote:
D. Bust Halves

The USA 50-cent series does include these and the seated Libertys, yanno.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3577 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  11:41 am  Show Profile Check muddler's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I primarily collect silver halves in all types but if I had to list preference they would go:

Walking liberty

Followed by seated

Then Bust

and then Franklin

I am not attached to the Barber as the design is rather plain to me.
Valued Member
United States
197 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  11:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Newmismatist to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm glad I'm not the only who doesn't care that much for Barbers. It may be sacrilege to say, but the Barber seems to me uninspired. Now the Walker on the other hand--I really like the way a Walker becomes highlighted when it's got a nice patina. And as for Franklins: They lack the ridges and crevices to hold a patina in an interesting way. Besides, who wants gaze admiringly at an old bald dude?
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05