Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Clipped planchet question

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member

Australia
122 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  02:53 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Ingine to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could please tell me if the clipped edge of a clipped planchet would be very smooth or if it would be a little sharp? Also would it have any markings that would indicate whether it as a true clipped planchet?
Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
Australia
1587 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  03:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add appleangel07 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What denomination coin is it ? If the rim looks funny opposite the clip it is most likely real.
Is the clip straight or curved ?
Some pictures would be a help,so someone could tell you for sure.
Valued Member
Australia
149 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  03:19 am  Show Profile Check bellyflorin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bellyflorin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hi Ingine have a read of this , iam no expert on errors but do have 2 florins with clipped planchet http://www.australian-threepence.co...r-coins.html, what about some pics
Pillar of the Community
Australia
513 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  04:12 am  Show Profile Check the-purple-penny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add the-purple-penny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe this will help too:
http://www.australian-threepence.co...n-error.html
Valued Member
Australia
149 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  06:58 am  Show Profile Check bellyflorin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bellyflorin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
that's a better link P.P great site that
Valued Member
Australia
122 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  02:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ingine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks people! I read an interesting article within the links about 'double straight edged clips' and wonder if that is what I have.
The best I could do as a picture was to scan the coin, I simply can't get a photo at this time, they're not the greatest but will give you an idea.

Pillar of the Community
Australia
1587 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  03:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add appleangel07 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks genuine to me,has the Blakesly Effect opposite the clip & would be quite rare I would think.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
513 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  05:56 am  Show Profile Check the-purple-penny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add the-purple-penny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What you have is a straight edge clip. There is only one clip (not a double). You can see the Blakesley effect like apple says.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  06:17 am  Show Profile Check enworb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can see two clips right next to each other. When looking at the reverse picture there is a small clip right next to the big one.
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  08:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see the obvious clip, and a smaller one at 006.

Only problem is that makes no sense, since straight clips are the end of the bar being punched out.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  08:12 am  Show Profile Check enworb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
biggfredd

The double clipped ones I have seen are usually from the corner of the sheet and the clips are around 90 degrees apart.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
503 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  08:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FNQ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's this niggling background thought that says 50c, as the size and angle of the clip seems consistent, but can't think of any way for a 10c planchet to be struck from a 50...

Edited by FNQ
02/25/2012 10:33 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1587 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  10:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add appleangel07 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The smaller clip looks to have a curve to me .
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  11:00 am  Show Profile Check enworb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it were a sheet of planchet metal for 50c it would be thicker than the 10c. I can see an ever so slight curve but it is hard to tell.

Is it curved Ingine?
Formerly nancyc
Australia
3703 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  4:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both clips look straight to me.
A friend is a present you give to yourself.

Nancy
Valued Member
Australia
122 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  05:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ingine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes there are two 'clips', but I too fail to understand how it could be a true straight double clip for the same reasons stated by biggfredd & enworb.
And yes I believe they are both straight 'clips', although I have lost my eye piece and am judging by eye.
FNQ - it fits perfectly except as you said the thickness...hmm
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05