Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Modern Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

General Kennedy Half questions, and some odd marks (pic)

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
ianp
United States
44 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  08:26 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ianp to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I received a text message from the teller at my local bank yesterday saying she received a roll of halves, and wanted to know if she should save them for me.

Absolutely!

Here's my haul from yesterday:

1x1966
2x1971 D
1X1972 D
2x1973 D
1x1973
3x1976 D
3x1977 D
1x1977 (This is the one with the odd marks)
1x1983 D
1x1985 D
1x1989 D

On the 1977, I noticed some lines originating in the center of the coin, moving outward.

Is this an artifact of a mishap during minting, or is this something that occurs(ed) after the minting process?

I found this website while googling for Kennedy half dollar Info. Would you all say this is fairly accurate?

http://cointrackers.com/Kennedy-Half-Dollar.php

Thank you for the info!

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1521 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  08:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add unholyroller to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All I can speak to is those strange markings. They appear to me to be post minting damages from a coin rolling machine. The device that roll crimps the end of the paper roll is the likely culprit.
United States
44 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  08:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ianp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great, thanks for the info. I'm totally new to all of this, so I'm trying to spot the odd ones and figure out what they are.

Thanks again!
Valued Member
United States
259 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  09:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jdgarst0720 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have a teller that lets you know when they find something interesting? That is great! Roll hunting is fun.
United States
44 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  09:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ianp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep -- I'm fortunate to have a good one :)

I think it may be because her husband works for me and I sign his checks, but in any case.. I'm glad to have a good one .. haha
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  09:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bet that has everything to do with it, but still, you are fortunate, none-the-less!
I've been collecting, since 1975.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1195 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  09:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add argentum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is some visually interesting PMD on that 77.

I know I'd hang on to it, and file it away in one of my albums for just that reason.
Oldest coins in my collection: US silver ~ 1839 O dime | US non-silver ~ 1851 Large Cent | Foreign Silver ~ 1945 Australian Sixpence | Foreign non-silver ~ 1910 UK Penny | Ancient ~ Constantine era Roman

Now Red Paper Clip Trading!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8246 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  12:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think it is PMD and definitely not from the crimper of the rolling machine which creates curved scratches that parallel the rims. I think it is a form of strike through. I haven't seen it on halves before but I have seen the same kind of radial marking on President dollars. Kind of like droplets of grease on the coin that got smeared outward and struck through during the radial expansion of the coin during the strike.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  12:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That sounds more like a possibility.
I've been collecting, since 1975.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
842 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  1:36 pm  Show Profile Check kookoox10's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add kookoox10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At least you found the 40% silver 66 in there. Nice find!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2789 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  9:31 pm  Show Profile Check smokeriderdon's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While not from a rolling machine, that is definitely post mint IMO. Someone scratched a sunburst pattern onto the coin. Blow the image up and you can see they are scratches.
It is could've, would've or should've, not could of, would of or should of.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1628 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  9:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add M0nks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
definately post mint damage and congrats on your 1966
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  10:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PMD, but it looks like a magic coin. What's the weight and is the reverse rotated?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1663 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  06:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My tellers are smart...they call me only AFTER they have cherry-picked the halves, lol.
Oldest dug 2013: 1873 IH
2013 silvs from circ: 98
Oldest finds circulated:
1894 Barber half
1900 Victoria dime
Oldest dug:
1758 Spanish silver
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love Coins$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05