Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canon Metering modes -- Which is best?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
464 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  10:04 am Show Profile Check brg5658's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add brg5658 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I'm just wondering which of the available light metering modes people use when shooting coins. Many of my coins are in slabs, and even those that I shoot raw, the coin is quite a different surfaces from the background I use (usually either a black or white sheet of paper).

I have gone between the "Partial" and the "Center Weighted" modes, with further EV adjustments using the LiveView EV meter. What are people's thoughts? What metering method do you use?

For some additional info: I'm shooting with a Canon 50D and a Canon T2i, both in Aperture Priority modes.

Learn More...
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  1:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use spot metering
Learn More...
United States
17607 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  1:58 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've used Spot Metering from day one.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, coinguybrian, numismo, Johnny54321 - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1615 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2012  11:48 pm  Show Profile Check rmpsrpms's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been using Partial Metering on the T2i, though I don't see any advantage vs Spot. Just avoid evaluative and center average since you generally don't care about the background...Ray
Builder of Custom Coin Photography Setups. Email me with your needs.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5325 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  4:20 pm  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I generally don't use the meter except in evaluative mode, I usually rely on manual settings anyways when shooting coins. I also have a really high end light meter that I can check the exposure out with, but if you shoot to computer it shouldn't really matter much as you can check your exposure on screen, always shoot RAW so adjustments after the fact are simple.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsShop at PDS Coins!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05