Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

IS PVC Damage Possible from Ike Blue Pack Packaging?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1299 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  5:10 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add cc99999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I've seen conflicting reports about PVC damage from govt packaging. I have had a 71-S Blue Pack Ike returned to me from PCGS with ungraded b/c of PVC Residue. The coin does have a beautiful luster and a pale green toning to it- but nothing that looks like damage- just toning.

thoughts, comments?

Follow the Ike Group on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/T...794568128572
Edited by cc99999
02/26/2012 5:11 pm
Learn More...
United States
17197 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  6:15 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this. Near as I can tell, the US Mint has been using essentially that same plastic for sets since the 50's; I think we'd know if it was prone to PVC plasticizer byproducts before now.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, coinguybrian, numismo, Johnny54321 - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1151 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  6:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yankee1227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's true Dave, all of the proof sets would have been ruined.

Probably a mistake, send it to NGC or ANACS instead.
"I'm living for giving the devil his due, and I'm burning, I'm burning, I'm burning for you.." Blue Oyster Cult
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12953 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  7:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I too suspect something is wrong. Is it possible that the package was tampered with? Prior to you getting it or have you had it since new? And as already noted if you think it's worth the money, send to another TPGS.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
17197 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  7:56 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a little torn. The packaging certainly looks airtight, but we've all seen toners in Mint flatpacks. With that as a given, can we conclude that the packaging is truly airtight? If not it opens the door to potential PVC problems.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, coinguybrian, numismo, Johnny54321 - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Valued Member
United States
167 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  09:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ibab to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Recently been though a lot of blue ikes. I've seen some with some pretty odd stains and toning on them. Some looked like they had water damage. white spots on some. the mint package is not air tight as far as I know, and some seem to be a little open.

Valued Member
United States
284 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  09:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DM1975 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have gotten some that look like they have been rubbed down with greasy fingers, even with finger prints on them sealed in the packets. I also have a beautifully deep golden toned Ike that I cut out of a mint set. I have gotten some pretty cruddy looking coins out of mint packs along with some awesome looking coins as well.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3774 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  10:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All three of my 1971 blue pack Ikes look terrible while all of my 1972 and 1973 blue packs look pristine. The luster is more flat and there are spots on them. Also,the cellophane packaging on the 71's is coming apart. I know I got these from different sources. Is this a condition that is typical to the 71 blue pack only?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1562 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  10:39 am  Show Profile Check The_Duke's eBay Listings Check The_Duke's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add The_Duke to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think anything is outgassing from the cellophane, but what about the Blue disc that is packaged with it? If there is an air leak between the two compartments (quite likely), maybe the disc is outgassing and causing some problems.
The_Duke
ANA# 3159445
http://dukescoins.ecrater.com/
Pillar of the Community
United States
9078 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  10:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No you can't get PVC damage from the blue Ike packaging. But the grader never saw the packaging, just the coin and he thought he saw "something" and bagged it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1299 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  11:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cc99999 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@dave700x - 71-S were minted and treated differently. They were shipped in bags- like business strike coins- and then packaged. Most of them are banged around. 72-S and beyond were lightly frosted and in my opinion a completely different animal. A 71-S in gem is very uncommon- a 71-S in 67 is rare and a 71-S in 68 is almost unique.
Follow the Ike Group on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/T...794568128572
Learn More...
United States
21717 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  11:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Green is not always PVC residue. I think it is a mistake by the grader who saw green and made a quick judgment.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3774 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  12:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info cc99999. That explains why mine look like crap. I've got a Dansco on the way and have been looking at my collection for worthy candidates and came up dry on the 71s silver.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9078 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  07:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Green is not always PVC residue.

More people need to learn that.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05