Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Possible real 1943 copper penny!?

Previous Page | Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11
Valued Member
United States
138 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  3:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add leonardpusher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No No NO! [The 1943 penny.]
Send it to ANACS.
Get it slabbed.
As a "fake", you will have an example of an attempt to fool the public.
You have a chance to teach.
A chance to educate.
Oh, should it come back as genuine ...
all bets would be off!
But assuming that it is fake ...
And the opinions are so leaning towards a fake ...
It would STILL be worth getting a third party opinion.
As a teaching example and nothing much more.
I'll bid 30 dollars on a fake 1943 copper!

good poem
Pillar of the Community
United States
2873 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  3:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you being funny, Maineman750, or cynical?
In any venture, one must pay dues.
The price of grading will be more than offset by the contacts that the original poster makes in showing the coin.
And THAT, the contacts, is what is needed. If indeed, he/she is new to coins.
But hey, only my opinion!
I have never met a Barber Coin which I didn't like. Visit us at the Barber Coin Collectors' Society
http://www.barbercoins.org/
Pillar of the Community
United States
4415 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  3:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VisigothKing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
good poem

I agree
"For as long as Belisarius lives, it is impossible for him to relinquish this city." - Roman general Belisarius, responding to a group of Gothic envoys, during the Gothic siege of Rome in 537 AD

Attributed coins in my collection so far - Roman: 238, Byzantine: 34, Post-Roman Germanic: 21
Pillar of the Community
United States
3514 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  3:48 pm  Show Profile Check Maineman750's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Maineman750 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Are you being funny, Maineman750

Being honest...a fake 1943 is not a rarity at all.
Lincolncentresource.net
Pillar of the Community
United States
2873 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  3:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So let us wait to see what the original poster does.
I have never met a Barber Coin which I didn't like. Visit us at the Barber Coin Collectors' Society
http://www.barbercoins.org/
Pillar of the Community
United States
3514 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  4:03 pm  Show Profile Check Maineman750's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Maineman750 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So let us wait to see what the original poster does

He is going to spend $40 or $50 to have an unknown attributer tell him it is fake when he had the top error expert already tell him,plus the top variety expert too.I just don't want to be a part of encouraging that when a little research on Mike Diamond and Chuck Daughtrey would tell him all he needs to know.If there were a chance, neither one would say what they did.
Lincolncentresource.net
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3234 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  4:43 pm  Show Profile Check CoinsKelly's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinsKelly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's how I see it. This is something that is sentimental from his father and he is aware that this is most likely a fake. But if he chooses to send it in, it is a good story and a sentimental object.

I sent in my father's 1964D dime to be slabbed - I knew it would not grade higher than MS 65 (it was sent back as a MS 64) and it did not have a full torch. So I have a $4 coin in a slab - but it was my father's favorite and just looking at it reminds me of him. The fee was well spent for me due to the sentimental value.

If you decide to slab it, I hope to see it back here.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3514 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  5:02 pm  Show Profile Check Maineman750's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Maineman750 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CoinsKelly..that's a good story but has nothing to do with what I said. My goal on this forum is to learn and teach what I know. As seen on the recent 1970-S post TPG's are very often wrong. If I wanted this coin to remind me of my father, I would probably keep it just as I found it, or if plastic made me feel good, I would buy an Air-Tite for $3.
Lincolncentresource.net
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3234 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  5:38 pm  Show Profile Check CoinsKelly's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinsKelly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maineman750, I thought your goal had been achieved. I learned a lot from this discussion and had felt the poster got the gist that this is not a real one. Just waxing sentimental for the man who started me on collecting at the age of 8 - similar to the sentimentality the poster originally expressed.
Edited by CoinsKelly
02/28/2012 5:39 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3514 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  5:39 pm  Show Profile Check Maineman750's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Maineman750 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Something I forgot to mention is that the coin will not be slabbed, non-genuine coins are body-bagged.
Lincolncentresource.net
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3234 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  5:39 pm  Show Profile Check CoinsKelly's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinsKelly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
(Forgot about that...)
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  7:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MezRDH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As Miley Sirus sings it's " The Climb" that I am so enjoying. It 's fun. I really appreciate these experts commenting on my coin. But, my photos are poor at best and I would regret not "trying my best" to do the right thing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3514 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  8:06 pm  Show Profile Check Maineman750's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Maineman750 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mike Diamond does attribute coins at a much better price than the TPG's..and I as I mentioned, he is the best.Just send him a PM unless you prefer to have an unknown attributer for some reason.
Lincolncentresource.net
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  9:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MezRDH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know you know who Mike Diamond is but I do not. Does he work independently? I like the big names. Most folks are familiar with them. I know very little about coins and I think I need to stick to something that I sort of know since I am totally unfamiliar with Mr Diamond. I will be sending the coin out Friday and doing the 15 day tier. I will keep everyone informed when I get the coin back. Thanks. And I do hope to post better photos in the future!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4384 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  9:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amida17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MezRDH check this link. Mike and BJ Neff are frequent contributers here. http://www.maddieclashes.com/New_Custom_1.html
"If by a "Liberal" they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people-their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights and their civil liberties-someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a "Liberal", then I'm proud to say I'm a "Liberal."

― John F. Kennedy, Profiles in Courage
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Shop at PDS Coins!SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05