Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Paper Money and Banknotes

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Ink smear on $5 bill

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Linny
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  6:59 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Linny to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Please forgive me if I'm in the wrong forum for this question. I have a 1985 $5 bill with an ink smear and I was curious if it added to it's value in any way. Thanks for any help.

Edited by Linny
02/26/2012 9:04 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
2341 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  9:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Buddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I'm not an expert but it sure looks like something went wrong.

Errors can be worth a bit but its a hard market to predict. This bill is worn and that will decreae its value.

I'm interested in seeing what the experts post.....
Valued Member
United States
486 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  11:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add The Bill Collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If a Bill like that will bring more than $ 5.00 I'm going out and buy some ink.
The Bill Collector
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  12:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dollardime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Bill Collector, it looks like it would be easy to fake. Doesn't mean that it isn't genuine but I wouldn't buy it without seeing authentication. Then again, I am new to this game and really have no idea what I'm talking about. Pretty cool error if it's legit.
Edited by Dollardime
02/27/2012 12:04 am
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  09:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well thank you for your time in looking at it. Just figured it was worth looking into. Thanks again.
Valued Member
United States
293 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  09:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lettow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This would be a solvent smear. Between printing cycles the plates are cleaned with a solvent. If the solvent is not entirely cleaned off the plate, this is the result.

Valued Member
Canada
285 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  5:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Baanos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Off topic question. Lettow, you seem to know a lot about the printing process, have you ever witnessed it first-hand ?
Valued Member
United States
280 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  6:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ckrakowski to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yes that is an inksmear and it adds value to the bill even if the bill is circulated.
Valued Member
United States
486 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  7:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add The Bill Collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really,
How many would you like to buy, and how much are you paying ?.
The Bill Collector
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  09:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Off topic question. Lettow, you seem to know a lot about the printing process, have you ever witnessed it first-hand ?

You can see the money actually being printed by taking a tour of the BEP in DC or Fort Worth, TX. I've been to the one in DC and it is a great tour. Pretty impressive to see a stack of $100 sheets that is about 6 feet tall!
http://moneyfactory.gov/tours.html
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  2:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So what is the conclusion here then? It sounds like Bill Collector says it is a fake. It looks like an authentic ink smear to me.

You should take it to dealer that knows paper money errors and ask for their opinion.
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Coin-Col...-20-bill.htm
Valued Member
United States
486 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  5:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add The Bill Collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I didn't mean to say it was fake, what I meant was that it can be duplicated very easily, so how do you prove it's real.

Buying something like that can be very costly and a waste of money unless somehow it can be proven real. I know some artist that can smear ink on a lot or different things and it would be very easy for them to duplicate that bill, the hardest part for the average guy would be the color of the ink but not for an artist, they could match it without a problem.
Be Careful with that kind of thing.
Bill Collector
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  09:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The thing is to get the ink with the right consistency. I've never seen one in person, but I would think the layer of ink would be very minimal in thickness.

It would be interesting to see how easily it can be replicated though.

And I do agree, it is an error that can be replicated and especially with a photo doctored, it can look as an actual error.
Rest in Peace
United States
9104 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  11:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add biggfredd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
, Linny!

Anyone who thinks this would be easy to duplicate should be getting a job with the gubmint's ink supplier.

That's an error, and a particularly major one at that.

My ancient paper book shows it as a $25 item, nowadays on eBay I'd say $100. Looks like you got $65 for it. Good job!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05