Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question on 1970s and early 1980s series $100 bills

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
289 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  7:56 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add VetStudent to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I'm afraid this is an amateur question but I am not a currency guy.... does anybody save this series of notes from circulation/bank finds?

Valued Member
United States
486 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  7:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add The Bill Collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Only if they need one for their collection.
The Bill Collector
Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  8:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add WVUcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you will find the number of people who collect $50 and $100 bills is very limited and those with the means to collect larger denominational notes tend to look for higher graded notes. These are not typically ones you can find in circulation.
Valued Member
United States
486 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  11:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add The Bill Collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well,
I'm not sure about that statement. I have in my collection all the small size $ 100. notes in all the series years from 1928 on up and there not all in UNC condition. I agree, not everyone can afford to collect them in UNC condition.

I know I cant, but I have built up the collection over time in less than UNC condition. The way I did it was to get what I could find at the banks, when I did buy I bought the best I could find that had good eye appeal, not UNC but still good looking notes.

You can find these sometimes for $ 10.00 or not much over $ 15.00 over face. I looked at it this way, most of the notes I bought were $ 20.00 or less over face, being that I was getting back my $ 100.00.

It was a good way for me to save some money and at the same time build a collection, the most I could lose would be the cost over face

So you see not everyone need be rich to build a nice collection, and not everyone needs to buy UNC notes to have a nice collection.

Yes, you will find that some cant afford to collect $ 50. or $ 100. notes, I'm sure there are guys that cant afford to collect $ 5.00 and $ 10.00 notes, but don't forget, it's not always about how much is it worth, it's called "collecting" not "investing", and if your collection ends up being a nice investment good for you, if not and you buy right you will have a lot of fun building your collection and the most you would lose would be your cost above the face value of the note.
The Bill Collector
Edited by The Bill Collector
02/28/2012 12:12 am
Valued Member
United States
289 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2012  3:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VetStudent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
that's what I figured, thanks to both of you
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageShop at PDS Coins!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05