Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Supplies, Books, Reference, Software, etc

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

What Supplies Do I Need For Collecting

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
MorganDude26
Valued Member
United States
204 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  7:26 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add MorganDude26 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I already have a loupe, but was wondering what else I need.
Thanks Everyone!
MorganDude26

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1269 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  7:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Think storage..... what are you collecting, how well does it need to be protected, do you have to worry about humidity, theft, packaging,.....

Don't rush into buying until you have given it some thought. Safe 2x2's or direct fit rounds, or any number of other storage devices, coin books, sheets to put the 2x2's in, a binder for the sheets ...

Visit various coin supply web sites and see all the goodies you buy and consider.

That should get you thinking.
Valued Member
United States
204 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  8:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MorganDude26 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
southsav, I collect a little bit of everything except gold :C I do have some Whitman folders and a couple of 2x2 holder sheets. I saw some 100% cotton gloves and some stuff called Verdi-Care. Should I buy those?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1269 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  8:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
100% cotton gloves

Do you have MS or PF quality coins you don't want finger prints or other matter from your hands to transfer to the coins?

Or just be careful when handling your collection.... handle along the outside rim, depends on how careful you want to be.

Quote:
Verdi-Care

I've used it with mixed results, overall works well to conserve cents or other copper. I don't remember what other metals it was developed for. Do a search on CCF on Verdi Care and read the posts.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2431 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  8:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim Stroud to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use nitrile gloves. They work great and are cheap enough. And yes get some Verdi-Care! One of our own members, BadThad, invented it and it works great! I would also suggest a flat clinch stapler for cardboard 2x2's. You can get one of these at Staples for around $10 and they work great. A halogen desk lamp may come in handy also.
Pay your taxes! 12 million illegal immigrants are depending on it.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."
Thomas Jefferson

Oldest Circulation Find ----- 1897S Barber quarter
Oldest Detector Find -------- 1803 Large cent

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  9:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with nitrile gloves. Be sure to get the powder-free kind.
Valued Member
United States
204 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  9:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MorganDude26 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do have a desklamp, but it is LED. Does that work as well? I just bought some large dollar 2x2s, a stapler, and some powder-free nitrile gloves. I think I'll wait on the Verdi-Care, though.
Valued Member
United States
128 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  10:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BoomerSoonerOKU to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since it sounds like you are using a regular staple, keep a pair of pliers handy. When you've stapled the 2x2 just use the pliers to squeeze the staple to indent the protruding pieces. Staple scratches are no fun.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4138 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  10:44 am  Show Profile Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A good scale is nice to have around.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar Of The Community
United States
12298 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  6:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1. A blast furnace in case you get tired of collecting and need a way to get rid of it all.
2. Address of newspapers, magazines and eBay so again if you get tired of collecting, a way to get rid of it all.
3. My address so in case you get tired of it all, you can send all your coins to me.
4. Lots and lots of money to buy coins with.

If you stick around here long enough, you'll hear members discussing things like magnifying glasses, computer microscopes, all sorts of lighting equipment, glovese, 2x2's, Albums, safes, coin books and on and on and on.
Coin collecting is sort of like buying a computer. Next is a printer, printer paper, printer cartridges, key boards, mices, mouse pads, monitors, cables, power supplies, surge protectors and on and on and on.
Coins are like that. Difficult to collect coins without tons of other things to go with them.
just carl
23 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  7:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Axecutioner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let's see... you need money, money, money, uh... maybe some money, and some more money might also help.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4391 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  10:12 pm  Show Profile Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As to Verdi-Care only if if need to remove verdigris from coins, you can ask BadThad here at CCF he is the maker of it, and a very helpful guy to say the least!
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982 • EAC Member #6202 • NBS Member • 2¢ variety collector.
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2012  10:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ridge_Runner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you plan on collecting sets, DANSCO albums! When I first started collecting sets I was putting them in the folders because I didn't want to spend much money. I wish I would have just spent the money on the Dasco's to begin with. If you can't tell, I'm a big fan. If you don't like the look of the Dansco's, at least spend the money on a nice album. They'll keep your coins in great shape.
Valued Member
United States
167 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  09:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ibab to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
as far as staplers go - try to find
Flat Clinch Stapler - Ergonomic Style
Max USA Corp#: HD-10FL

You can find this at a large variety of sites, etc.

I have the slightly larger one that uses size 11 staples but the size ten are a little smaller - and the staples don't need to be pressed with pliers after.

Figure out where you are going to store things (aka not the basement) - remember security, temperature, and humidy matter. You can do some reading on this forum about those topics.

But otherwise 2x2's, dansco's are a great place to start. If you don't want to spend the money on dansco's yet, and you are collecting coins that might cost less than the album - consider the whitman folders. Check with some local clubs or dealers you might get them cheaper than you think.
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  8:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ridge_Runner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good point ibab. I know my local coin shop has used folders that are in good condition for cheap.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1395 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  8:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bizybackson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How is someone marked as banned able to respond to a topic?

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05