Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Token Scam on Kijiji

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
271 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2012  07:21 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add OddCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I'm sure no one will buy this, but I wanted to share anyway in case someone who wants to buy it looks up the token. Maybe they'll find this.

http://stcatharines.kijiji.ca/c-buy...IdZ286184445

This guy is selling one of those Gas Station tokens, but claming it is from 1905. I sent him an email, thinking that he might just not know about coins. Here is what I said:

"Hi, just wanted to let you know this is not from 1905. This token is part of a series given away at Shell gas stations in the 1970s. 1905 is on the token because that is the year Alberta became a province. again, just letting you know."

He wasted no time replying to me, sending a short email that said, "yes I know thanks." I waited for a few days to see if he would edit the ad. He didn't, so I sent another email. I said, "Your ad says the token is from 1905."

A few days later I got his reply, every bit as unreadable as the ad. "the coin was made in 1967 not 70 anything else you want to know abought it it is mad of brass the coin said 1905 on it if you are intrested then buy it if not I know more abought the coin then you will ever know thanks"

Days have gone by and he still continues to lie about the token to everyone on kijiji. I really hope that no one buys it, but he'll probably find a sucker to scam.
Luckily this doesn't happen very often on Kijiji. People are often wrong about their items, but they always delete or edit their ads when I let them know. I can't stand to see scammers like this going after the uninformed.

Sorry for the long post. Hopefully it will educate someone and stop them paying $10 for a 25c token.

Learn More...
United States
22108 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2012  6:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Updated:

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=114503

Please continue discussion in the second thread.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Shop at PDS Coins!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05