Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Proffessional valuations of error coins - Melbourne?

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

Australia
122 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2012  10:50 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Ingine to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi guys, I'm wondering if anyone can please suggest somewhere in Melbourne where I can have my error coins looked at?
As helpful as all you peeps are on the coin community, I am still having trouble finding out if I have true errors or if they are PMD.
I have found that the coin shops I have been in only have their best interest at heart, and because I'm 'uneducated' in this field , I fear I will be ripped off!
Thank you

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
5066 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2012  11:21 pm  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Post pic's of them here and one of our Aussie error experts will let you know what you have
Aim to Enjoy life. You only get one shot at it
Pillar of the Community
Australia
855 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2012  02:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add goatieman23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely, we all have experience in our own error aspects whether it be pre-decimal or decimal. If we don't cut it, we definitely know who we can recommend. Sometimes we need to see in order work out who would be the best with the errors.
Valued Member
Australia
115 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2012  4:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add airgem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You will probably be wasting your time going to coin shops as most dealers don't give a rats about errors and varieties unless they are well known and popular.They may charge you for an evaluation too. Smaller dealers at coin fairs may help you if you are lucky. But you should always get a few opinions, as you will find some wouldn't have a clue. Posting photos on here is a good start but there again you will need to get a few opinions for the same reason. Education and experience are the best tools.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
513 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2012  5:54 pm  Show Profile Check the-purple-penny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add the-purple-penny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Contact Stuart Andersen Coins, their top numismatist has excellent knowledge in the error field.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1291 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2012  6:39 pm  Show Profile Check markn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add markn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll second taking them to Stuart Andersen Coins. There's no-one else in Melbourne I'd bother showing them to because they just wouldn't know what they are looking at.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
855 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  02:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add goatieman23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah very true...they know everything about errors.
Valued Member
Australia
122 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  01:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ingine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all your help people! I have posted them all on this forum already and have had a lot of great advice, but as you said goatieman23, they kinda need to be seen in person to get the best idea.
Thanks for the tip the-purple-penny & markn I will take them in to Stuart Anderson coins. Great stuff people, thanks again, you all make me
I'm particularly interested to see if my 'double straight clipped planchet' 10c coin is the real deal!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
855 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  6:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add goatieman23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm interested in seeing some pics of your 'double straight clipped planchet 10c coin'. A lot of us know about clipped planchets. I've sold quite a few recently on eBay. If I can't help you there are many others that also know all there is to know when it comes to double clips.
Valued Member
Australia
122 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  05:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ingine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
goatieman23 - Look at my 'clipped plachet question' in the forum, I have pictures there. They are not so good though, I will try and get some better ones for you.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
855 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  05:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add goatieman23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, I remember reading that post a while back. Parts look like it can be a genuine clip (for the larger clip, because of the opposite end of the coin), as for the second clip, a bigger image would be required to tell for sure.
Valued Member
Australia
122 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2012  06:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ingine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a few better pictures

Pillar of the Community
Australia
1291 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  8:34 pm  Show Profile Check markn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add markn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to say that I do not believe that either of those coins are genuine errors.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  10:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did you follow up and take then to Stuart Anderson?
Formerly nancyc
Australia
3718 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  12:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like they've been filed or sanded, so deliberate PMD.
A friend is a present you give to yourself.

Nancy
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11129 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  12:19 am  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That coin has been deliberately altered, the filing marks are plainly visible on the edges.
ANA R-3151318
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05