Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I'm new to Ancients => what's the best reference catalogue?

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
3352 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2012  09:11 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add stevex6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I'm new to Ancients => what's the best reference catalogue?

CONTEXT:
Man, I never seem to learn! => once again, I've impulse-bought a bunch of coins ... this time I've stepped into your world (Ancients) ... now I'd like to find a reference catalogue and try to learn a bit more about these coins that I've already purchased (yes, I realize it is putting the cart before the horse) ... oh well, it's apparently how I roll!

For the record, I purchased the following 4 coins:

COIN #1:

Valentinian I, AE 19 mm
Minted AD 367--375
Obverse: D N VALENTINIANVS P F AVG, diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right
Reverse: GLORIA ROMANORVM, emperor walking right, head left, dragging captive and holding labarum, TES B in exergue
Weight: 2.7 g
Diameter: 19 mm
Reference: RIC IX Thessalonica 16a

COIN #2:
Ancient Roman Coinage of DIOCLETIAN
284-305 A.D.
Antoninianus, 22mm 3.81 g.
Rome Mint. Struck ca. 290 AD.
Obverse: IMP DIOCLE TIANVS AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust right.
Reverse: IOVI FV LGERATORI, Jupiter standing facing, head right, preparing to hurl thunderbolt; at feet to left, eagle standing left, head right; XXI - " in exergue. Ref. RIC V 168 var. (unlisted officina and with eagle). near XF, flan crack.

COIN #3:
ROMAN REPUBLIC ANCIENT COINAGE
C Servilius Vatia
127 BC. Rome Mint
AR (Silver) Denarius. 3.85g. 19mm.
Obverse: Winged, helmeted head of Roma right, lituus behind, ROMA below, * under chin.
Reverse: C•SERVEIL below two horseman galloping left, one looking back weilding a sword & being speared by the other who holds a round shield inscribed with an M.
Ref. Servilia 6: Cr264/1, Syd 483. VF

COIN #4:
ROMAN REPUBLIC ANCIENT COINAGE
C. Licinius Lf Macer
Struck 83 BC. Rome Mint
AR (Silver) Denarius. 3.39g. 20mm.
Obverse: Diademed bust of Vejovis left, seen from behind, hurling thunderbolt.
Reverse: Minerva in quadriga (four-horse chariot) right with javelin & shield; C LICINIVS L F MACER in two lines in ex.
Nice VF.
Ref. Licinia 16; Cr354/1; Syd 732.

... so, I'd love to learn more about these four coins that I've already purchased, plus discover additional Ancient coins that I could add to my brand new passion ...

QUESTION:
=> Is there "one" wonderful reference catalogue the folks that collect Ancient-coins swear by?! (in other words, is there a " Red Book" or "Charlton Catalogue" for Ancients?)

thanks
Steve

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1163 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2012  09:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Doucet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome stevex6

You bought some pretty nice coins there.

They seem to attributed already but you could check and compare them with others on Vcoins.com or acsearch

Ancient coins have many reference books, some rather expensive, but you can usually get a lot of info from the internet.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of tips here shortly.

Regards
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
3352 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2012  09:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stevex6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doucet => thanks for the response .... yah, I realize that my question probably seems a bit naive to most of the Ancient regulars on this site (my face is a bit red)

=> I guess my best bet is probably to merely read through a bunch of these threads and then hope that I'm bright enough to catch-on to the repetitive info ... right?

However, if there are a few proven "good reference books" then I'd really appreciate a lead ... thanks again.

Steve
Learn More...
United States
13433 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2012  09:58 am  Show Profile Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are some very nice coins. Welcome to ancient coin collecting. There is tons of information of ancients on the web. To name but a few:

Helvetica http://www.catbikes.ch/coinstuff/coins-ric.htm

Forum member Doug Smith outstanding site at http://forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith

Wildwinds at http://www.wildwinds.com/coins

You can also download a free copy of ERIC I for dirty old coins.com. This are also books available for download on ancient coin on googlebooks. Just this brief list will keep you busy reading for some time.

I would also recommand buying a copy of ERIC II it's a bit expensive at about $150, but it covers all Roman Imperial and Byzantine coinage.
Edited by echizento
03/04/2012 10:01 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
3352 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2012  10:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stevex6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

echizento => thanks for the leads!

I'm excited to go try and track-down my coins ...
Pillar of the Community
United States
562 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2012  11:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MartiVltori to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would also recommend ERICII for your Roman Imperials. Has all the RIC references without costing 1500.00+ for all the catalogs.
--------------------
Joseph
--------------------
>>>My Gallery<<<
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
9594 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2012  12:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a nice group of Romans. I especially like the last coin, but they are all well-centered and struck--you chose well!
I don't own a definitive guide on Romans, but I got Sears' "Roman Coins and their Values", which has been a good overview. Amazon had it "used" but nearly new for just $25.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
3352 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2012  12:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stevex6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks MartiVltori & echizento => the book order has been placed ...

=> geeesh, I think I'm gonna need a bookshelf for all of my Canadian coin catalogues, Canadian papermoney catalogues, Banknote catalogues, US coin catalogues, World coin catalogues, Ancient ERIC-II, population reports, etc, etc!

... my catalogue collection is nicer than my coin collection!
Edited by stevex6
03/04/2012 12:32 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2131 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2012  1:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jessvc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coins I like the color on the first coin.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
8727 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  08:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To get a handle on current pricing, log onto the
VCOINS website.
There are a large number of very reputable dealers from all countries, who have a combined stock of over $30 million worth of ancient coins available for sale.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
3352 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  1:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stevex6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks sel_691
Pillar of the Community
United States
4163 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  1:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ValiantKnight to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty nice grouping of ancients right there stevex6.
"For as long as Belisarius lives, it is impossible for him to relinquish this city." - Roman general Belisarius, responding to a group of Gothic envoys, during the Gothic siege of Rome in 537 AD

Attributed coins in my collection so far - Roman: 238, Byzantine: 34, Post-Roman Germanic: 21
Pillar of the Community
United States
1541 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  07:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dougsmit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin books are like coins; some are gems and some are slugs but there is no single one that will do it all. That is why most collectors who have been in the hobby a while have almost as many books, magazines and catalogs as they do coins. Personally I am not fond of books that just provide reference numbers but I love books that help us understand the why, where, when and how that caused our coins to be made rather than just labeling it as existing and being common or rare. Be sure you read the text parts of the books you bought and not just look up the coins in the catalogs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1541 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  07:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dougsmit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I forgot to mention: these are all nice coins I would be happy to have in my collection. Keep up the good work!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
3352 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  2:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stevex6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
dougsmit => thanks for your comments ......... for the record, I will read the "history" associated with the coins (I even read the articles in Playboy!)

Valued Member
United States
318 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  8:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cajunlady0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are gorgeous coins, Steve. I only have 2 pitiful ones, but am trying to get more. I mean, those are really, really nice! Tell me where you live and where you keep them. I just want to know for no particular reason. :)

AND, who are you kidding about reading the articles in Playboy? It sure ain't us.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05