Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Coin Photography

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Amateur photographer - question

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Gothic Florin
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2529 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2012  2:09 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Gothic Florin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi,

I've been using a Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS Digital Elph. I'm able to take pretty good pictures with it, but I can't seem to get them as big as some folks to post them on the forum. Any ideas on settings to get them bigger but keep them crisp? I'm using a Mac to upload and post the pics.

To get them under the 100KB size limit, I can only get them about this big

Oldest Found:

Cent: 1899 - Two Cents: 1867 - Nickel: 1916
Dime: 1943 - Quarter: 1964 - Half: 1917

Canadian silver:
Quarter 1966
Edited by Gothic Florin
03/04/2012 2:10 pm
Valued Member
United States
457 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2012  2:59 pm  Show Profile Check wheatiefan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add wheatiefan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How big are your pictures (pixels high x pixels wide) before you resize them?

I think the #1 thing to do is to upload your full-sized pictures to a free photo-hosting site like imageshack or photobucket.

That way you do not encounter the 100kb limit--that's only for pix uploaded to CCF, not hosted on another server.

Then you can copy and paste the image codes from your hosting site and spend a couple minutes figuring out how to feature them inline in your posts.

That's how all of the huge pics that you've been seeing are handled. . .

-wheatiefan
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2012  8:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
my guess is its the program you are using to re-size the pictures that is causing your pictures to be smaller than other peoples. I have used Photoshop and gimp which both seem to do pretty well. This is what my pictures look like using those programs and this picture is under the 100k max the forum will accept

Edit: my picture doesn't look that much bigger than yours other than I have cropped all background out of my picture and you still have yours showing
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
2235 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  10:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tights24 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gothic, you also have enough posts to ask for a member gallery. When you go that route you can upload from your own gallery here to a thread up to I think 800kb.
Confucius say "The man who asks a question is a fool for a minute, the man who does not ask is a fool for life."

Our members sell on eBay too!!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5012 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  4:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use the same exact camera to take pictures of my coins. Bryan mentioned cropping and I think that may be the answer. If you look at all the pictures I have posted, they all have been cropped to remove most of background.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love Coins$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05