Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

VAM Assistance - 1879-S Morgan (Large S over Small S?)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
6091 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2012  11:40 pm Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I was about to list a 1879-S (REV of 79) Morgan on eBay, but I thought that I would give the "once over" with my DinoLite before listing it, since it is one of the most common Morgans out there. I noticed a "cup" on the bottom of the 8 and a drop on the 7 in the date. Then I looked on the reverse to find the mint mark irregularity, it appears to be a Large S over a Small S. One of the differences between the REV of 78 and RV of 79 on the 1879-S is the size of the S (78 being small and 79 being large). Could stamping over the Small S with the Large S happen?

Any help would be greatly appreciated since I am way new at VAM's.

oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"

"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145

"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
Edited by oih82w8
03/05/2012 9:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1255 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  06:54 am  Show Profile Check twohawks's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just an S/S there are many 79 Morgans with an S/S I would need to see the whole coin
Never argue with an idiot..They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with Experience
Pillar of the Community
United States
6091 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  11:14 am  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks twohawks, see if these can help, or if there is someplace in particular you need additional zoom on...

Edited by oih82w8
03/05/2012 2:15 pm
Learn More...
United States
17301 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  8:12 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VAM-12, I think. Believe I see the appropriate doubling on the 7, and it lacks the closed 9 of VAM-11.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, coinguybrian, numismo, Johnny54321 - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Pillar of the Community
United States
6091 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  9:51 pm  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see the "doubling" of the "7", but, what about the bottom of the "8" and "7"?

Edited by oih82w8
03/05/2012 10:26 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1255 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  12:13 am  Show Profile Check twohawks's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks Like a Vam-11 to me!

Opp's missed the open "9" that makes it a Vam-12
Never argue with an idiot..They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with Experience
Edited by twohawks
03/06/2012 12:16 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
6091 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2012  11:03 pm  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pardon my ignorance, but I don't see the similarity in the VAM-11 and the notches in the bottom of the 8 and 7 of the date of my Morgan.

Edited by oih82w8
03/06/2012 11:38 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1255 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  04:55 am  Show Profile Check twohawks's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add twohawks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only photo up is a late die state coin that has been over polished. I see the indent on the 8 and what looks too be PMD on the bottom of the 7. You could send it to Leroy as I know he has boxes of reference info in his basement storage. But from what I can see in your coin and the description it falls to "the die is the die" The reverse is a dead ringer and the date type matches the VAM description.

Your coin just looks to be an early die state of the Vam-12
Edited by twohawks
03/07/2012 04:56 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
6091 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2012  9:33 pm  Show Profile Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to all!

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.19 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05